42. A Summons

For a week, the Rucreans planned and prepared to travel to Bierze. In Oliver's last life, only a few representatives came to Bierze for the ascension, leaving Piers with a deep grudge. With the new knowledge of what the future could hold for them, they wanted to let their strength be known.

At the same time, Oliver was also preparing to return to the capital. He was practically kept under house arrest during his previous life to ensure he would not attend Piers' ascension. He assumed Piers would bar him again; however, this created the perfect opportunity for him to sneak into the capital. He could sneak into the treasury and find the treaty when the celebration was underway. It was his only window of opportunity. He was grateful for his obsession in his last life because he studied everything about the palace, including its floorplans. 

Oliver was shifting through a stack of papers while leaning against Draco's desk. Aris was standing next to Castor, both tense, while Oliver read the reports.

Oliver sighed. "Your scouts are correct. Everything seems to point towards the troll hoard coming from the Dusk Tundra." He placed the stacks down and looked at them seriously. "You have made adequate preparations; however, I would check your weapons before heading out. Make sure they are strong enough to hold a troll back and heavy enough to knock them away. At the same time, send a troop to survey the Asksno Peaks. Ravagers will probably be watching for our defenses to weaken."

"As you command." They said with a bow.

There was a knock on the door, and they turned their attention in that direction.

"Sirs, Commander Tomin Lamariel of Bierze has arrived. Will you allow him to enter?" The person said from the other side of the closed door.

Oliver paled and dashed towards the windows. Peeking from the side, he saw a large group of Bierze's royal guards. They were dressed in golden armor but shivered under the cold.  Leather and furs would have been the best outfit for the soldiers, but once again, Piers focused on an elaborate show of wealth rather than practicality.  The men shuffled, trying to keep warm. Others had tried to brave a conversation with the Rucrean guards around the palace, but they were greeted with stony silence. 

Oliver's jaw clenched as he held in a curse. He glared coldly at the men outside. He knew they were not here for him, but it made him uneasy. It would complicate his situation if he were seen in Rucrea, especially Tomin. The bastard still held a grudge against him. 

The other men were watching Oliver with a bewildered looks.  They knew he didn't get along with Bierze, but they didn't understand his anxiety. 

"Sirs?" A voice from the hall sounded as the door started to open a little.

Oliver panicked and slipped under Draco's desk. A heavy wood panel covered the front of the desk, so he could not be seen while hiding underneath.  However, it was a small and cramped place. While adjusting, he slammed the top of his head on the sturdy wood.

"Fuck!" He hissed.

"Oli?" Draco asked tentatively, looking under the desk.

Oliver hushed him. "I don't want to be arrested just yet."

The door opened fully, and Draco sat up straight, going into a protective stance.  His eyes darkened, and he held in a low growl from the uninvited people.

Two people walked in, the servant who opened the door and the man Draco recognized as Tomin. 

"Sir Draco, I present Commander Tomin Lamariel." The servant who announced Tomin was obviously not from Rucrea. Although he didn't have guards standing outside his doors, everyone in the palace knew better than to barge into his study.