60. An Explosion

Oliver ran his hand over a black mask. It had no features etched into it, including the eyes. But it was made of a unique gem from the mines of Rucrea so that he could see out of it. It was a familiar mask, the same one that Draco wore in the gardens of the Bierzean gardens during Piers' coming-of-age ceremony. 

It now seemed like it was another lifetime ago. At that time, Oliver started making his moves, freeing himself from Piers' control. Now, he stood independent—a King even—staring at the precipice of war. 

Draco watched him and smiled. He reached out and twisted his fingers in his braids. "What are you thinking about?"

Oliver smiled. "The past and the future. I feel the shift in the world, a hope brewing inside its core. It's terrifying."

Draco hummed lightly. "It is, but it is also exciting. Soon we can settle this war, smite our enemies, and live the long life we have dreamt about."

"So sure we will live a long time? I haven't had much experience with that." Oliver chuckled.

"Dragons live for a very long time." Draco placed a hand on Oliver's chest. "A person can tap into that lifespan whether they shapeshift into a dragon or have the heart of a dragon."

Oliver's eyes widened, then his lips curled into a joyous smile. "Are you saying I have at least a century with you?"

Draco chuckled, "Husband, we have dozens of centuries together."

"Maybe the gods are not as cruel as I originally believed," Oliver murmured, then leaned forward to place a chaste kiss on Draco's lips.

Savvi and Gallio walked into their tent. Gallio refrained from rolling his eyes, finally accustomed to the many public displays of affection. 

"Are you ready to wreak havoc?" Gallio asked with a mischievous smile as he pulled out some vials from a bag. "I have been perfecting some of my poison and haven't found any test subjects."

Savvi hit the back of his head. "Aren't you supposed to be a holy priest?"

Gallio shrugged. "I can be a priest and an apothecary if I choose to be." 

Oliver chuckled at the banter. These men have fallen into their old friendship as if it had never left. Savvi was still mischievous but had matured considerably from the 17-year-old he had met before. Gallio was still bitter and complained constantly. However, despite his complaints, he would never let them down and would follow through.

Oliver had discovered more about their lives, but it mirrored his—filled with war, death, and loneliness to an extent. Their return to the past was different as well. Oliver and Draco had died, but Savvi, Gallio, and Quincey didn't recall dying. They believed they just fell asleep one night and then woke up in the past.

They were good men willing to risk everything for each other, which was what they were preparing for now. 

The four of them were going to infiltrate the Ravager camp. One of their goals was to help his Bierzean soldiers escape the clutches of the Ravagers if they were being held against their will.  They wouldn't know if that was the case until they infiltrated the camp.

"Let's go," Draco said and pulled a black mask over his face. Oliver and the others followed suit and pulled their black hoods tight.

Oliver, Draco, Gallio, and Savvi ran through the plains. The night was dark, but the four old Generals knew these lands from the many times they had traversed them.

"I regret my decisions. Why did I insist on coming?" Gallio grumbled. "What the hell did anyone expect me to do? It's not like I can force-feed anyone my poisons. Should I pray to the fucking gods of light to blind the Ravagers instead?"