Chapter 40 - Checkmate

-

"I've been waiting for you." 

Percy sighed. She knew what was coming. It was time for the 'epic villain monologue'. Or at least the 'you will never make it' conversation between hero and villain. So was it a dialogue? Well, whatever it was, she couldn't bear to deal with it, especially since she had no idea if her parents were alive or not- now was not the time to be messing about. Scarecrow could've very well killed them, or at least moved them elsewhere, after their infiltration of the wrong building.

"Your parents are alive, and still here. So is Nora." Scarecrow said, smirking from the first floor landing, as he looked down upon the newly arrived heroes.

They were surrounded by men. At least thirty guns pointing at the nine of them. And of course, more from the upper landings as well.

"They're on the roof. Not that you'd even be able to get there... Perseus Jackson. Or should I call you Priscilla? Or Maelstrom? Quite the name you've made for yourself, dear kin of mine."

"You're not a part my family."

"Oh dear. Well, that's a pity. I so surely remembered us sharing blood- not the same, of course, but similar. Don't you think?"

"Scarecrow, I am not in the mood right now. If you know about me, then you surely know the lengths I'd reach to ensure my family's safety. And since you've put my family in danger, I'm sure you know what fate awaits you."

"Sure." the Scarecrow shrugged, "But I don't think you'll get up here. Not even to the first floor, let alone the rooftop. This house has certain magicks applied to it- I called in an exchange with some witch-boy. But he got some spray, I got some power. And that power comes from the Demon Lords. People who do have the capability to... dampen, magical powers, or whatever it is that you call your Hydrokinesis. So teleporting by dissolving yourself is clearly out of the question. So is flooding the house. And controlling the blood particles in one's body. AS far as we're concerned, the most you could do is lift a glass of water. I am smart, aren't I? Well of course, some of this plan was devised by The Riddler- who I will need to speak with, once he's broken out of prison, since he gave away another two of our members, one of which defected- and is standing amongst you. Well, Mr. Freeze, I do have some specifications made to this building for you as well- I simply raised the building temperature to a significantly high temperature. One that won't kill me, but will inhibit your.. cryo-machines."

"CyroTech." Mr. Freeze muttered under his breath, glaring at the man above.

"Well, enough chit-chat. My patients are expecting me. I couldn't possibly keep them waiting, now could I?" And with one last smirk and a flash of his crazed eyes, which glowed the faintest shade of red, he disappeared into the back.

And then, as if the entire scene had been pressed on play, the fighting began.

Gun shots could be heard, ricocheting against walls and body armour. 

"Shit!" Red Hood cursed, as one hit his helmet. Percy could only bet that sounded like a dream in there.

The nine of them had begun slowly fighting. Of course it was hard- fists did not work brilliantly against guns, but they did do their job every once in a while. Half of the men on the ground floor were unconscious or dead by now [depending on who hit them].

Talia, Damian and Percy used their Katanas, Red Hood- bless the man, was the only one who brought a gun along, and was firing shots from behind, keeping the others safe while they were fighting.  Batman, Red Robin and Batwoman had taken to the arms and legs, while Mr. Freeze made good use out of a paperweight [an extremely heavy paperweight, mind you] that he found on one of the drawing room shelves. 

It was an unfair fight, really. But when had Percy's odds ever been fair?

The team appeared to be covering land. Slowly, the entire ground floor was cleared of cronies. The team rushed up the stairs and began again. 

The world moved in slow motion for Percy. She'd been in this situation more times than she could possibly remember. And that made her muscle memory strong, but it scared her. How was it, that she could have the time to think such things when she was fighting for her parents' lives?  When just one mistake could create a huge problem for more than one person? She had no idea, really. 

Percy tried focusing, she could see it all. A hand moving the punch- cut clean off. Another leg in the way? Twisted by the Batman. The first floor was almost cleared as well. Just two more people... 

The first floor was empty now, save for nine conscious people, and about twenty unconscious ones.

"I really should've known you would've beaten them, even without your powers. Well, you couldn't win either way- even if you did get to your parents- which I'll make sure you don't. And If I'm bound to lose, I'd rather take one last chance for your death. You, Perseus Jackson, are the greatest hero to ever live! And I... I exist to create fear. To spawn doubt, to birth paranoia! To create destruction. What inspires more fear than the death of the one person protecting the world?" 

Jonathan Crane was crazy. He really, really was. There was no question to it. 

"And so, with my last move, all that I can say is this." The man raised a gun. It looked different. Percy could tell. It was all so slow. 

So. So. Slow. 

So why wasn't she moving out of the way?

"Checkmate."

BANG!

-

A/N HEYYYYYY. Hi. Okay. SO. We're in the last couple chapters, LITERALLY! The 'war' that I made such a big deal out of, lol is almost over [I'M SORRY BUT I SUCK AT ACTION SCENES, FORGIVE ME. I literally skipped ALL THE ACTION T_T_T_T. I'm wallowing in my suckiness as a writer, especially when writing an action-mystery-thriller-drama genre of fanfiction (wow that just sounded really complicated) anyways, sorry about my lack of astuteness in that, I truly apologise]. Either way. Cliffhanger? No. That's way too mean. I couldn't do that. I hate surprises, really. I hate planning them, and receiving them, so let me do you a favour, and give you the next chapter as well. The next one will be short. Really. Really. Short. 

So it's still going to be a cliffhanger, basically. Sorry, not sorry.

Anyways, read the next chapter. It's not that bad. I HOPE YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER [and will like the next one too, ofc], so vote comment and do all of that. Tell me what you think. I feel that there might be a couple more comments in the next one cus of.. obvious reasons. Don't hate me too much, kay? THANKS.

Have a great day or night, wherever you are!