Chapter 31: Tomorrow is Another Day Part 1

Author's Note:

Trigger Warning: Child Abuse, Violence.

Dark Rebirth Gregory Sprite Artwork by @rosesforwilliam (me) on my Instagram

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdFZU92P1k2/

~~

Location: Mazercise

Time: 5:45am

Micheal Afton can't remember much about his childhood anymore but he definitely does remember every instance of physical and mental trauma he endured from his Father.

He had been beaten, bruised and locked in closets but the worst of it had to be the time he was forced to eat dirt from the woods. It poisoned him so badly that he was wheeled into a hospital and bedridden for a week.

"Tell your mother I did this and –"

"You'll kill me." Mike completed his sentence as he coughed on a white bed.

"Good boy".

Years passed and the loathing he felt towards his Father grew like a parasitic plant within Mike until it ultimately culminated in him bullying other children and siblings as he had no other healthy outlet to unleash his rage on. Evan was a particular favourite for him to bully, mainly because he was so easy to frighten and drive to tears. Elizabeth...not so much as she had thick skin, witty comebacks regularly loaded at the tip of her tongue and her father's guaranteed protection.

However, preceding the tragic Bite of 83 incident, something else terrible had happened to Evan years ago:

One night, Mike had entered Evan's bedroom and, consumed by rage and envy, he put a pillow over his face and tried to suffocate Evan. His smaller brother thrashed around frantically as he was smothered and Micheal shouted, "Why? Why doesn't he love me? Why is it always you who gets his attention?! I hate you!"

Those were spiteful words he'd come regret eventually but in the heat of the moment, he was too blinded by rage. He'd snapped and hadn't thought rationally regarding the consequences of getting rid of him. However William immediately heard the ruckus and had to pull Micheal away, kicking and screaming.

After that, Mike was sent to a mental institution although his stay lasted only for a few weeks. The reason being that he showed 'stabilised and good behaviour' which impressed the nurses. His father wanted him in prison but his mother was a little more lenient, reasoning that Mike wasn't evil, just a mentally unstable and jealous child that needed help.

She wasn't sure why Mike was mentally ill (and Mike wished very much he could have told her why) but she loved her son nonetheless and hoped that he would be less of a violent troublemaker in the future. She was the kind of person who could see the good even in the worst of people which is what attracted her to William. To her, William had good qualities despite his occasionally terrible behaviour and presumed that over time, she could 'change him for the better' but dismally, she found that she was incapable of doing so. William wouldn't change his terrible ways and they were all imprisoned by his abuse as a result.