Chapter 32: Tomorrow is Another Day Part 2

Trigger Warning: Chapter contains suicidal thoughts.

Gregory and Freddy Plushie Art Commission by @cheesebunns on Instagram

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd2bAZzvEjY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Henry sits on a bench in an empty church. The funeral committal is over. Everyone has left but he's still here, eyes locked on Charlotte's coffin, a part of him morbidly hoping and praying she'll pop out of that box somehow and everything will just be a cruel joke.

The sound of footsteps echo behind him.

"William? Is that you?" Henry asks with uncharacteristic spite without looking behind him, "You're late for the funeral."

"But I made it didn't I?" The handsome man folds his purple umbrella as he sits next to him.

There's a large gap of silence between the two men, "Are you mad at me?"

"Of course I am. My daughter died and you were the one that found her dead." Henry was uncharacteristically furious, "I would presume you'd show up at least to give a speech but you didn't!"

William bites his lip,"Sorry Henry... I was held back by some last minute work at Afton Robotics. It's hard managing two companies at once you know?"

"It's fine..." Henry turns his head to face William's and gives him a slight smile, "You turned up at least, even if very late, and I'm glad for that".

Another long pause of silence occurs as Henry's gaze becomes fixated on Charlotte's coffin again. William places an arm around Henry's shoulder.

"How long have you been here?"

Henry looks at his watch with an empty expression, "An hour after everyone left".

"Wow." William whistles and stands up, "Listen, I don't think staying here is good for you. Let's hit the bar and get some drinks to forget this!"

He grabs Henry's hand, trying to pull it along, "C'mon. Let's get out of this depressing funeral and party!"

"I don't want to party." Henry shakes off William's hand, "I want to grieve".

His best friend's eyes are once again drawn to the sight of Charlotte's coffin.

William huffs, seeing that Henry really is unwilling to leave and sits down again, pulling his best friend in for a hug. Henry welcomes the much needed embrace.

"If you're too upset to work, I can give you a day off tomorrow... if that's what you want?"

"No thanks." Henry refutes his best friend's offer, "I think I need work to push away my grief. You know how I don't like to be left alone with my own thoughts".