Chapter Three

Dedication: Hannah_Writez for the cover! Thank you so much!

Recap:

With that, he turned and walked from me. I let out a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding.

"Just great," Owen muttered.

I felt a little sorry for Owen. I didn't mean to flirt with Josh in front of him, it just kind of happened. We were flirting, right? I didn't even know anymore. I never bothered with boys after Casey. Or even when Casey was alive. He was the only one for me.

Maybe it was time that changed.

------------------

My fingers trailed over the coat hangers. I bit my lip as I stared at my limited options of clothes. As I didn't go out often, I didn't have a large range to choose from. I glanced out the window, the sky almost completely dark now.

It was a cool night, as usual. I thought about stepping outside my comfort zone but decided I needed to take baby steps. Just going to the party was hard enough, let alone drinking and wearing something elaborate.

Reaching into my drawer, I withdrew a pair of high-waisted black pants. They were one of the comfiest pair of pants I owned and actually look quite nice. I wriggled into them breathlessly. I decided on a navy blue, skin-tight, long-sleeved shirt. I grabbed my signature black, leather jacket, shrugging it into my shoulders. I settled my white scarf around my neck, needing the white contrast to break up the dark. A pair of my converse shoes would do. I hope I didn't look too under dressed. It was cold, after all.

I stared at myself in my mirror. I hardly ever used it. In fact, I usually had it covered. A small, nervous smile danced on my lips. I was actually kind of excited. That was something I hadn't felt in a long time. I decided to wear my hair down for once. I left it in natural tumbles down my shoulders. There was an excited glimmer to my eye.

Clutching at my bag and my bottle of vodka, I exited my room. The nerves were beginning to bubble in my stomach. The last party had been pretty terrible. I lasted an hour and left, feeling even worse than I had before it.

Tonight was going to be different. I stopped short in my doorway, hearing something. I turned off the light, and stared at the window.

Please.

I blinked, my feet frozen to the floor. This was the first time the message had appeared not in the period between 2-2:30am. Striding toward the window, I replied. For the first time, even though I had to actually hang outside the window and write it on the side with the condensation.

Go to hell.

With that, I pulled my curtains closed. My hands were shaking. What the hell was I doing? Did I really want to sever the ties between Casey and I? If it were even him? Before I had time to freak out, I turned and stormed out of my room.

Mum was sitting there, a mug of tea in her hands. She was inhaling it, a small smile on her face. Dad was behind her, a beer in hand. We all looked quite alike. My dad was tall, pale, with dark hair. He had stubble, making him look older than he actually was. My mother was short, with clipped, mouse-brown hair and the same mossy, green eyes as mine. She had a pale complexion also and a heart-shaped face. She was beautiful.

Her jaw fell open. "Sadie?"

"I'm going out."

Dad glanced up, pausing. His beer was pressed to his lips but he didn't take a sip. His eyes were round as he stared at me.

"I know, it's weird." I said with a sigh, wandering towards them. I leaned in to the fridge and withdrew the orange juice. "Marissa, the girl I told you about, asked me to go a party with her."