Chapter Fourteen

---------------------

Dedication: Profashionall for the aaaaaaamazing cover. I think it really reflects the story! Thank you!

Recap:

I let his arms engulf me. Snuggling my head into his chest, I inhaled his scent. He smelled like Casey. His arms tightened around me.

For a brief moment, I let myself imagine it was Casey. He was here with me. I was wrapped in his arms, like I used to be. Everything was okay.

It was in this moment, for the first time this part year, I felt safe.

----------------------

One and A Half Years Ago

I rubbed at my eyes wearily. I shut off my alarm a solid minute ago, but the ringing was still constant in my ears.

Rolling over, I grabbed my phone. I frowned. There was no 'good morning Princess' or something along those lines. I quickly texted 'Good Morning xx' to Casey, a little surprised he hadn't messaged me. It was something he did every day.

I waited. His replies were usually instant. Sighing, I rolled out of bed and padded to my bathroom.

I went about my morning routine, continually checking my phone. There was still no reply.

This was not a good sign. Casey was my ride to school.

Wriggling breathlessly into my navy pants, I tugged my shirt over my head. I threw on my shoes, before dialling Casey's number. There was no answer. Groaning, I threw my phone onto my bed and continued to do my last minute preparation before school.

"Mum!" I called, sliding into my shoes. "Can you take me to school? Casey isn't responding."

"Yeah, if you hurry up!" she called back.

I shrugged my bag onto my shoulders and hastily brushed my long hair back from my face. I jogged down the hallway and tripped, before righting myself.

"Slow down," mum laughed. "You're not going to be late."

"I know," I panted. "Sorry."

I trailed out behind her and slid into the SUV. I sent a text to Casey, asking if he was alright. He might have slept through his alarm. He has done that a few times.

"Thanks Ma," I said as we slowed to a stop. I leaned over and kissed her cheek. "Love ya!"

"Love you," she smiled back. "Have a great day!"

I made my way into school, scanning my surroundings to see a familiar, tall, boy with stylishly messy hair, that usually barrels into me as soon as he sees me. That usually happens at lunch, however, considering we usually travel together.

"Sadie!" a voice called.

I turned to Mr McLoud. "Yeah?"

"Is Casey here?" he asked with a frown. "I need to speak with him urgently."

"I don't think so, what's up?"

He pursed his lips. "I wouldn't usually say, but considering how inseparable you two are, I don't see the harm. Casey is failing my class and needs to do a makeup test either today or tomorrow. His Coach saw me today, looks like he won't be able to keep playing football if he's failing more than two classes."

"Failing?" I asked slowly.

"Yes. Please let him know as soon as you can. Thanks," he said, before turning his back to me and disappearing into his classroom.