Epilogue

------------------

------------------

Dedication: Rachel20030406 for the awesome cover! Thank you!

------------------

Six Years Later

"I have something to tell you."

"You're pregnant?" I guessed, taking a sip of my coffee.

"No," Marissa laughed and I found myself smiling, having missed the sound.

Marissa and her boyfriend, Adrian, have been on a three-month trip, backpacking around Europe. She got back yesterday. Considering we spent almost every day together, either catching up over coffee or jogging of an afternoon, I had missed seeing her.

"You're engaged?"

A grin broke out on her face as she threw her hand across the table. I stared down at her finger in awe, the classic-cut, diamond engagement ring shining up at me. It was a simple ring, but looked very elegant on her slender finger.

"Oh my God!" I exclaimed, my eyes wide. "Congratulations!"

"I know, now we have two weddings to plan!" she giggled, gesturing to the ring also attached on my own hand.

"Josh and I have agreed to be engaged for a little while, before having the wedding," I reminded her.

"I can't wait for my wedding. I think I'm going to do it early next year, before it gets too cold."

"Wow, that's soon!"

"I know, but I just can't wait to be Mrs Macintosh!" she sighed dreamily, planting her chin into the palm of her hand. "So, how have you been?"

"Good," I smiled, my fingers lightly tracing the handle of my coffee mug. "Work is crazy and mentally draining, but I really enjoy it."

"I knew you would, you were practically made for that job."

After studying a counselling degree and majoring in teen mental health, I landed myself a counsellor/support worker position at the community hospital. I also work one day a week, at a high school across town. My specialty is suicide prevention/awareness, being the person there for teenagers who are feeling lost or need guidance.

The job is mentally demanding and draining, but I love it. I get to meet new people and help them, every day. I couldn't ask for a more rewarding or fulfilling career. Even though it challenges me, I also feel I can relate, because of the hell I have lived through and my own personal struggles with suicide.

"What about you? Back to work next week?" I asked.

"Unfortunately," she agreed with a nod.

Her fiancé runs a mechanic shop in town. He owns the business and works their full-time. Marissa works in the admin part, doing all the bookkeeping tasks, which is how they met. She began as the receptionist, having started there three years ago.