Chapter Twenty Seven

---------------------

Dedication: Katiekinse for the amazing cover! Thank you so much!

Recap:

I let out a hot breath of air as I met Dr Ainsley's dark eyes. Should I tell him? Should I take the plunge and finally tell someone what has been happening to me?

"You really are going to think I'm crazy," I told him, gripping my fingers nervously.

"I promise I won't," he assured me.

"He's been contacting me," I whispered, my bottom lip quivering. "Casey has been sending me messages."

---------------------

Dr Ainsley stared at me, a perplexed expression etched onto his face.

"Casey has been sending you messages?" he repeated slowly.

"Yeah," I replied nonchalantly, leaning back into the kind-of-is-kind-of-isn't comfortable, leather chair. "It's been happening for a while."

He opened his mouth twice, no words coming out. I guess having a girl say her dead best friend is communicating with her probably wasn't in his training at university. I could tell he was trying to work out what to say next. I averted my gaze to my lap as I waited.

"How has he been communicating with you?" he eventually asked.

"Text messages mainly. He used to write on my window in condensation but I started ignoring him so he began texting. He's rang me a few times but I can only hear breathing, so I'm not sure if that counts or not."

His pen began scribbling furiously and I wanted to roll my eyes. He is probably writing that I'm crazy and having hallucinations.

"And you believe it is Casey?"

I let out a sigh. "I do and I don't. A part of me believes he is dead but the other half isn't so convinced. I never sighted his body after he jumped. A part of me hopes that he could be still alive. But why is the question. Why would he fake it? Why would he want to talk to me? It's all very confusing."

He nodded. "I agree. It is very confusing. Do you believe someone else could be sending you the messages?"

"I've thought about it but I've had my number changed, I've moved... I don't know who would go to the trouble to mess with me like that. And they know things that only Casey knew."

He nodded again, writing something down.

"Do you respond to these messages?"

"I did for the first time the other day in hospital. I thought he visited me, but it felt like a dream. I texted the number back and asked if it had been him. He said it was."

For the first time in the session, Dr Ainsley smiled at me.

"Do you know what that means?"

"What?" I asked with a frown.

"We can go through the hospital footage and see if he really did visit you."

"Are you allowed to do that?" I asked in surprise, my dark eyebrows raising.

I had never even thought to do that.

"If it's to benefit the mentally stability of my patient, then yes, we certainly can." he smiled, leaning forward. "Want to take a trip to the hospital?"

My eyes widened.

He stood from his chair, giving me a reassuring smile.

I was so not ready to see this.