Chapter Seventeen

-----------------

Dedication: Dreaminginmars for the awesome cover! Thank you!

Recap:

"No," she said, shaking her head. "That's Casey."

She pointed a little left of me. I heard my mum suck in a breath of air, her hand covering her mouth.

"He's next to Sadie," she explained. She turned her deep, dark eyes to me and I felt my heart slam inside my chest. "He's been with her all day."

-----------------

"Sadie," Annita said softly. "This is a safe place."

"Is it?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest. "Because if I recall, you have the right to report what I say."

"Only if I feel yourself or anyone else you mention throughout the session is in potential harm. I won't report anything without confiding with you first."

"Right," I muttered.

"Sadie," she repeated, leaning forward in her chair. "Talk to me. Tell me what's going on."

Sighing loudly, I reclined back in my chair. I glared up at the ceiling.

She was silent as I tried to gather my thoughts.

"A couple days ago, I went to a BBQ."

"That sounds lovely," Annita replied.

"It was with Casey's parents. I hadn't seen them in about a year and a half."

"How did you feel when you made contact with them again?" she asked.

"It was confronting."

"Was it a good confrontation?"

"I don't know." I admitted with another sigh. "It was good to see them again, but I... I came across Casey's room. They still have all his stuff. That was really hard to see."

"I can only imagine."

I blinked a few times, staring down at my lap.

"Something weird happened."

"What was that?" she asked.

I bit my lip, playing with a loose thread in my denim jeans.

"Sadie," she encouraged. "You can tell me."

Slowly, I looked up.

"I think Casey was there."

***

The wind was cool as it slapped my face harshly.

Tugging my jacket tighter to my body, I dragged my feet into school. I made my way towards Marissa and internally groaned as she was surrounded by a large group of people. That was the annoying thing about being good friends with Marissa. She was also good friends with a lot of others.

"Morning," she chirped as I joined the group.

I gave her a forced smile back.

"Hey babe," Owen greeted, throwing his arm around me. "What's up?"

Making a face, I peeled his arm from my body.

"You hurt my feelings daily, but my love is still strong." He declared.

"Shut up before I punch you," I muttered, rubbing my face roughly.

"What's wrong?" he asked, grabbing my arm.

"Stop touching me."

"If you tell me what's wrong."

"Don't want to talk about it."