Chapter Eleven

-----------------

Dedication: Reachingformorex for the amazing cover! Thank you xx

Recap:

Then it dawned on me. There was someone who told him. Of course.

"Sadie?" the voice asked. "Is that you?"

Slowly, I pivoted, coming face to face with him.

"Hey Isaac."

-----------------

"Long time no see," he said quietly, his mossy green eyes, quite similar to his brother's, stared intently into mine.

I nodded slowly, my throat suddenly feeling dry.

"How have you been?" he asked after I only answered him with silence.

"Coping, you know," I shrugged, my eyes feeling moist.

Staring at him made me feel like my heart was about to shatter inside my chest. Which was impossible, because it's already been shattered beyond repair.

His strong jaw line, his sleek skin, his stylishly messy hair. They were all factors of Casey that I adored. And it hurt seeing a younger version of him look at me, when I know that I will never see the other one again.

"I do know," he said softly. "How much longer have you got to go? I was hoping we could go for a walk. Get a coffee or something."

"Probably an hour or so left."

"Let's meet down town, at the bank. We can find somewhere to go from there."

"Sure," I said, my voice hoarse.

I ducked my head, gripping my trash pick too tightly.

"Sadie," he said, after he turned.

I looked up.

"It's nice to see you again."

***

I refused to look at him.

It hurt too much. Instead, I focused on the plate of chocolate cake in front of me.

"Aren't you going to eat?" he asked, with his mouth full of his own cake.

"Not hungry," I muttered, pushing the plate from me.

"Do you eat properly?"

I shrugged. "Why?"

"The Sadie I remember could eat five tacos in about two minutes. You're the thinnest I've ever seen you."

"I must eat enough, I don't pass out."

"Gee, that's good," he rolled his eyes. "What's with the attitude? Not interested in talking to me anymore?"

"This is my attitude all the time," I sighed. "I'll never be the same."

He was silent for a few moments. "I know. Me too."

I reached out and took a sip of my water.

"You know, I've spent a lot of time hating you."

I choked on my water. I slapped my chest roughly as my eyes burned. His face remained impassive as he stared at me. I ignored the stares around us and blinked at him, waiting for him to say the he was joking.

He didn't.

"Why would you hate me?" I asked cautiously, frowning at him.

"You left without a word. We were your family, Sadie. Don't you think losing Casey was hard enough? We couldn't lose you, too."