Chapter Nine

-----------------

Dedication: Triiple for the amazing book jacket! Thank you! :)

Recap:

She's a writer, so she works from the house. Shrugging, I strode up to my room, prepared to collapse onto my bed and stay there for the rest of the night.

My bedroom door was open. I paused. I always leave it closed.

Walking in, I went to shrug my bag off and a slight scream left my lips.

This day definitely just got weirder.

-------------------

I slowly stared around my room.

The whole house was eerily silent. My hand moved to my mouth as I bit back another scream. My body began trembling.

My room was trashed. Everything was thrown around. My mattress was flipped. My drawers were on its side. My clothes were everywhere.

"What the hell..." I whispered.

Did someone break in? I didn't notice anything else misplaced as I had walked through the house.

Slowly, I sank to my knees.

I sat there, blinking, completely silent, as I tried to work out what was going on. My heart jerked in my chest as my phone vibrated against my leg. Pulling it out of my pocket, I froze.

It was a private number that messaged me.

'I thought I was your only love.'

That's when I fell to pieces.

***

Two Weeks Later

"Is this seating comfortable for you, Sadie?"

I sat, looking towards the door, my arms folded across my chest. I wanted to be anywhere else but here.

"I guess."

"Great," my counsellor, Anita, smiled. "So, what would you like to talk about today?"

I let out a huff, shaking my head. It wasn't like I chose to have this session. I was forced to, like usual.

"Sadie," she said, leaning closer to me. I inched further back, refusing to look at her. "I'm here to listen. I want to talk."

"I have nothing to talk about."

I dragged my eyes to hers and she pursed her lips slightly.

"Sadie, you've had a nervous breakdown. Which is perfectly understandable, given what you've been through."

"You don't know what I've been through. You haven't lived it." I bit out, shaking my head. "Having a degree doesn't mean you understand the hell I have had to live through."

"That may be the case, but it doesn't mean I don't empathise with you."

"Thanks, I feel a lot better knowing that."

She was silent for a few moments as she stared at me.

"Can you describe to me what happened the day you left school early?" she asked, shifting in her seat.

I half-shrugged. "Do I have to?"

"I think it would be good to talk about it."

I sighed heavily. It was mandatory that I have a one hour counselling session every week, after what happened, so I should just get used to this. It's not like I haven't been to counselling before.