Chapter Twenty Three

-------------------

Dedication: Tsukichan14 for the amazing cover! Thank you!

Recap:

I felt the blood drain from my face. "W-what?"

"Sadie, I have to ask," she hiccuped. "Did you have anything to do with this?"

"What? Me? How could I have done this?"

"Because..." she trailed off. "Owen told me his attacker said if he ever touched you again, they were going to kill him."

-------------------

My head was spinning.

My phone slipped from my hands, landing with a thud on the floor. I pressed my hand to my chest as I stumbled backwards. I collapsed onto the bed, struggling to draw a breath.

Did Isaac do this?

Gripping a fistful of my hair, I buried my face into my thighs, holding back a scream. I was so conflicted and confused.

Isaac and I almost slept with each other last night. Now, he has hospitalised one of my friends (if you can call him that) because he kissed me?

Is this an act of revenge on behalf of me? I never asked him to do something like this. I was mad at Owen, of course, but I didn't wish this to happen.

Hastily, I grabbed my things and made a bolt for the front door.

"Thanks for having me, gotta go!" I called over my shoulder as I basically ran past the kitchen island, where Andrea was still cooking.

I vaguely heard her reply as I fell out the door. I walked as fast as I could to my house. In a blur, I raced up to my room, grabbed my keys and ran to my car. Well, Casey's car.

The engine rumbled deeply as I edged out of my driveway. I nervously began to tap at the steering wheel, feeling a tidal wave of anxiety.

One, I didn't know what to expect going to see Owen. I was unsure of how bad his injuries were.

Two, I don't know if I even want to face him, after everything. He probably blames me for this, even though it's his fault.

After struggling to find a park, I managed to snag one at the end of the street. Shoving my keys and phone into my back pockets, I jogged towards the private hospital.

"Hi," I said breathlessly, going straight to the counter. "I'm here to see a patient, his name is Owen Pearson."

She gazed at me for a few moments, before going over to her computer. She typed in something. I watched as she tapped her manicured fingernails on the mouse.

"Are you a family member?" she questioned, pursing her lips at me.

"He's my boyfriend," I blurted.

Her gaze softened. "I'm sorry to hear about his accident," she said to me.

She rattled off the floor and room number. She had hardly finished her sentence, before I tore down the hallway.

At least I look half-convincing of being his girlfriend.

I paused, squeezing my eyes shut, memories of me being in hospital bombarding my mind. I was in and out of hospital, after Casey died. I was a complete mess. The sound, the smell... It brought unwanted memories back.

Shaking my head, as if that would clear my scattered mind, I rushed forward, trying to figure out where I was going.

I slowed to a stop as a couple stood there. A tall lady, with jet-black hair stood there, her cheeks stained with tears, her eyes puffy. An older man stood beside her, rubbing her shoulders, saying something to her I couldn't hear.