Chapter Four

-------------------------

Dedication: GorgeousNightmare123 for the amazing cover! Thank you for always supporting me by voting and commenting on every story I've written! Thank you for you encouraging words. Your support has helped motivate me. I appreciate it a lot! <3

Recap:

My phone vibrated. I jumped in alarm. The only person who texted me, besides my parents, was Marissa and she was right next to me. Stepping back, I slid my thumb across the screen. It was an unknown number.

My blood ran cold in my veins.

"Don't do this, Sadie. I'm still here."

These messages suddenly just got a whole lot more real.

--------------------------

I couldn't stop shaking and it wasn't from the cold.

My phone slipped from my hands. Owen dove to collect it for me. He stared at it, puzzled.

"Who's that?" he asked, as it said 'Unknown Number'.

Snatching the phone from his clammy hands, I spun on my heel and strode from the fire. How the hell did he know what I just did? How was he here?

He is meant to be dead.

I could hear an argument start between Owen and Josh about who was going to come see if I was okay. Not long into the debate, Marissa told them both to shut up and leave me alone. I silently thanked her as I made my way further away from the gathered crowds. The air was growing colder with each step I took.

I fell onto my knees, my entire body trembling. I have no idea how any of this is possible.

Am I crazy?

My phone buzzed. I was scared to look down. I dragged my eyes to my phone.

No Caller ID.

Tears burned at my eyes. I was too scared to move an inch. It rang out. I held my breath. The phone rang again. With my hands uncontrollably shaking, I slid my thumb across the cold screen.

I didn't say a word. Neither did they. All I could hear was slight breathing. My heart was slamming against my rib cage. If he did say anything, I probably wouldn't hear him over the sound of my drumming heartbeat.

"Casey?" I whispered, my voice cracking.

The line went dead.

I fell face first into the harsh, cold ground. I clutched at my aching chest.

What the hell was this all meant to mean?

***

I hadn't been to school in three days.

After the rest of the night being extremely awkward and everyone wondering why there was a girl lying face down in the grass, crying. What little progress I had made attending that party, was lost. I made an idiot out of myself.

Who wouldn't though, in that situation? Everything is seriously messed up.

I didn't think I could cry again, but I proved myself wrong. I had cried the whole night. The tears rapidly fell down my face. It had just been like when I found out, all over again.

Since the night, I haven't had any messages. Not even old school window messages that I have gotten for months. Maybe he was mad at me for being with Josh?

I shook my head, almost laughing. He is dead. I literally found the note, went to his funeral, made the dramatic speech only the best friend/girlfriend could. But yet, in my mind, he wasn't. He couldn't be.