𝟑𝟎

Layla stepped up the stairs so that she was face to face with him now, I go to step forward to intervene but she shoots me a look so I remain where I'm stood.

"I'm talking to you!" She spat.

Steven's face had had now lost the smile that was plastered on his face and was looking at Layla in pure confusion, it was clear he didn't understand the situation or how Layla could sometimes have moments like this but that didn't surprise me.

It was one thing I hoped that Marc would keep from Steven; all of the arguments that he had with Layla and the whole purpose of why he left, it was awful to see him show up to London so cold and alone.

That day, I asked where Layla was and it made his face turn sour and told me that she had reacted like this and he had enough of it.

After all, we both hated shouting and arguing for a reason.

"I'm talking to you, Marc!" She yelled, shoving him.

I take a step forward and Layla gives me a death stare but I ignore it this time and turn to Steven to see that Marc was now in control, it didn't shock me that Marc would be desperate for having the body back and Steven giving it up as Steven was confused and Marc had been through these situations before with her.

"Come on, let's go." Marc spoke.

I nodded my head and he grabbed Layla's arm then started walking, she wasn't ready apparently but now wasn't the time and we were running short of it.

Layla resisted and instead tried to pull him back causing them to be at a standstill whilst I was now stood by one of the pillars, I had always kept my distance when it came to moments like these as I had always hated the conflict.

Arthur wouldn't be far now and I knew it which meant the dread of everything was now looming over me like a storm cloud over a night sky, it was something I couldn't prevent and knew would happen but I still had tried to change.

The worst part of this?

Marc is going to die now, in this room.

Fuck, fuck fuck!

I had the urge to punch something but the building was fragile so instead I punched myself for being so dumb, I could just grab Marc now and drag him and then Layla can continue screaming whilst following behind.

Marc doesn't deserve death, not now.

I know this was selfish but I deserve to be selfish for once, I'm tired of being exploited and I don't want it to continue.

Layla suddenly ran past me meaning that she was looking for a way out so I knew that they were here now, sacrificing myself wouldn't help the situation much but it might help save Layla.

Khonshu didn't really want her as an Avatar but rather was used as an empty threat to Marc to keep him to line with the threat of me being his next Avatar too, that was only going to happen if it was an emergency as he hated the thought of me being an Avatar.

I slowly step around the pillar to reveal myself in the lighting and Marc sees me and shoots me a glance that tells me to hide, he was hoping to protect me like he had promised Khonshu but this was a way to protect all of us.

Resisting and hiding from Arthur would only cause me to probably arrive with my body coated in bruises and other signs of harm, the last thing I wanted was to be seen like that in front of a god even if they were one I despised the most.

Arthur stepped out of the hallway that Steven and I had walked through together after his followers stepped out and aimed their guns at him, Marc only had an axe that he had just stolen from Alexander.

The scarab admitted a low glow as it floated above Arthur's hand whilst he stepped forwards with the help on his dark yet detailed cane, it was something you would expect to see in a movie where the villain is introduced or something but most of this mission had been like a movie.

Marc slowly lowered his weapon, I doubted he was giving up and was merely trying to pretend he was surrendering

"Just you?" Arthur asks.

A smile was now plastered on his face as the scarab returned to it's gold plate and sat in his palm, it had served it's purpose and it was something that Arthur no longer cared for.

Suddenly, a hand was on my shoulder and I punched them in the face then kicked them so they stumbled backwards which made a lot of noise which caught everyone's attention.

One of Arthur's followers had spotted me and was attempting to sneak up to me and claim they found me before anyone else to be praised or some bullshit, I grabbed their shoulder and slammed them into the wall then punched them in the face so they were out cold and slumped against the wall.

Guns were now pointed at me and I slowly turned as the lights attached to them displayed my shadow on the wall, one of the men grab me harshly and drag me over to the others then kicked me so my knees were on the floor.

Marc was now panicked and his breathing became heavy as he scanned the room quickly to find something to help him but this was my way of helping, giving myself up early would save Layla as they would expect her to react in a similar way and then come to the conclusion she wasn't here.

"I remember the first morning I woke up knowing Khonshu was gone." Arthur spoke, turning to look at me.

Khonshu had left Arthur and had took me with him or to put it in a way that Arthur had explained to others, I became Khonshu's temporary avatar so that if we ran into trouble then the healing powers would help save me.

It was his way of protecting me, there was no other way he could help really and this was the only one that made sense to both of us.

The healing armour allowed me to be able to survive any possible attacks and would stay until a week before Marc left for the dig site.

"The quiet was liberating." He spoke in a hushed tone.