Escaping the paps

It was a sunny day in New York. I had awoken from my deep slumber to my alarm that I had set for 6:30.

I quickly hopped into the shower letting the warm water cascade down my body. I combed my hair with my soapy fingers letting the water rinse it out. I quickly cleaned my body and got out of the shower.

I had slid into mom jeans with holes in them and I had put on a baby blue sports bra. I then grabbed my black unzipped jacket. I walked into the bathroom and brushed my teeth and did mouth wash. I did little to no makeup which consisted in clear mascara and lipgloss.

I blow dried my hair and I put it into a messy bun. I slipped on some socks and got into my Nike Pros. I grabbed my phone off of the charger and walked outside.

It was now 7:15 and I was on my way to a cafe. It was a small little place that made good coffee. It was being run by this elder couple that were in their 60's or 70's. They sometimes have their grandkids working there too on the weekends and in the summer.

I rounded a corner that held the cafe and soon walked into it. I walked to the counter waiting patiently for one of them to take my order. Then he appeared.

"What may I get for you dear", Mr. Baker asked with a smile on his face. He always has a smile on his face and it is contagious. Umm.. one piccolo latte", I said smiling softly to him. "What size?". "Medium please". I went and sat at a small table in the middle of the room.

It wasn't real busy today. I had gotten onto my phone and waited about three minutes until he walked out with it. "That'll be four dollars", he said while handing me it.

I popped open my phone case to only see a fifty dollar bill. I then handed it to him and went up to leave the building. "Oh.. dear you forgot your change", he said from the counter. "Oh you can keep it", I said looking back to him.

As soon as I had gotten out of the door I accidentally bumped into a man. Not with my coffee though. I had my hand with my coffee extended out. "Oh sorry I didn't mean to".

"It's ok. Don't worry about it", his thick accent was heard within such little words. It was cute. He had a grey hoodie pulled onto his head. As I went to move out of his way a swarm of people was surrounding us.

"Andrew Garfield! Is this your girlfriend?".
"Andrew Garfield! When did y'all start dating".
"Hey Andrew Garfield! When did y'all meet".
"How long have y'all been dating".
"Are y'all sexually active".

What the actual fuck. And did they say Andrew Garfield? He looked panicked and nervous. Anyone could tell he was nervous. Lights were flashing left and right. Some guy even got in my face a took a picture of me. Like bro personal space exists.

The guy pap who got into my face also needed to brush his teeth. They were yellow and his breath stunk. Andrew started looking around for an escape when I quickly grabbed his hand and we made a run for it.

They were on our tail as we saw a barely light aisle right after we sharply turned a corner. We tried to push ourselves into the wall as the paps ran by. "Holy fuck". I said out of breath as I realized that I still had his hand in mine.

I quickly released my grip on his hand and threw my head back against the wall to catch my breath. "Sorry", I said not even knowing what I'm sorry about. "It's alright you didn't do anything".

"Uhh.. I'm Andrew. Just telling you that because I believe there will be a lot of pictures of us", he said deliberately.

"I know who you are. And I'm Y/n". He smiled despite it being dark in the alleyway. At this point it was awkward and I didn't know what to say.

"Well..Bye", I said walking away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And that's how I met your father", I told my eight year and six year old daughter and two year old son. Andrew was laying on my legs asleep as we were in our bed.