5

The Way I Are

Ciarra

What is this man planning?

I reluctantly accepted his outstretched hand, as he then led us to the dancefloor on the other side of the hall.

Grasping my hand in his, I felt his thumb slowly stroking my knuckles. The sensation causing a stinging in my chest.

As we stopped on the middle of the dancing people, he faced me. His eyes the color of light moss, glanced at me differently, before he masked his expression. I was so nervous that my hands started to shake when he grabbed one, placing it on his shoulder while he held my other hand in his. His other hand was then placed at my waist, reaching my back.

I can't help but notice his perfectly styled auburn hair that was so dark it almost appeared black most of the time. Despite it being shorter than the last time I saw him, it still suited his look.

We started moving to the slow tune of the song. As we stare at each other's eyes, I started to forget about the people around us. All I see is the man who gave me everything before. The man who was never afraid to show everyone that we had something for each other. The man who was so happy to accompany me to different tourist spots in Miami.

The man who made me feel free.

I avoided his gaze and inhaled deeply when I felt my eyes starting to water. I felt his hold on my waist getting tighter, slowly wrapping them around my small waist, bringing our bodies closer. I gasped when I felt the skin to skin contact of his hand on my back. His hands felt so warm, like how I remembered it felt years ago.

"How are you doing?" I then heard him softly whisper beside my ear. I didn't notice that we were so close to each other that my head was now leaning to his shoulder. I held in a shuddering breath as my grip on his shoulder tightened. If he noticed, he didn't say a word.

He sighed when I didn't answer. Not that I don't want to, but I can't seem to speak without my voice shaking. "I missed you." He uttered brokenly, his hold on my hand tightening.

I do too.

I couldn't tell him that now, so I only squeezed his hand, somehow saying I also missed him. My eyes suddenly shut close when I remembered what happened after I left him. It wasn't his fault. Also wasn't my brother's. It was my fault why I left. I could've stayed. The least I could've done was tell him I was leaving.

But I couldn't.

I didn't.

"Funny how after all these years, we ended up doing the same thing we did the first time we met." I looked up at him, confused with his words.

As our eyes met again, he seemed taken aback. For a few lingering moments, we just stared at each other's eyes. He then smiled, as if he didn't say something that affected us both earlier. "Dance with me."

It wasn't a question. He also wasn't asking. I can tell as his words from years ago floated to my mind again. Reliving that moment, our movements picked up its pace as the song transitioned to a livelier one. The other couples around us doing the same.

I small smile played at the tips of my lips as he encouraged me to match his pace. Forgetting all that happened in the past, I tried to get lost in his eyes, trying to savor this given moment with him. Knowing all too well that it might never happen again.

"You're still stiff as ever." I scoffed when I heard his playful tone. I smacked his shoulder as he laughed. For a moment, it felt like we were back in the past. The way he teases me, and I would end up smacking his hand or rolling my eyes at him.