15

Umbrella

Alizarin

I arrived at the cemetery after an hour. It suddenly rained so hard, that's why despite my urge to sped up towards the cemetery, I don't want to be involve in an accident. If my guess is right and she is there visiting her brother's grave, then I don't want to have any unwanted situations to happen.

After I parked my car, I scanned the surrounding, looking for a certain person. However, the heavy rain made it hard to spot anything. Deciding to look for her on foot, I stepped out of the car and continued my search for her.

After a while of searching, I noticed something lying over, next to a tombstone. I rushed to get to her when I immediately recognized Ciarra's figure.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

She was lying on the ground unconscious, her face so pale it looked dead, and her lips were blue almost black. Her body felt so cold, as if there was no heat left in it. Fuck!

I immediately drove towards the nearest hospital. The hospital where Yula stays in was an hour away from here, and I don't want to risk losing Ciarra over the cold.

I put the heater on in the car when I can't seem to find a hospital nearby. After minutes of looking, I found one and immediately parked my car, carrying her out and rushing to the emergency room.

The nurses quickly took over and instructed me to lay her on a bed. They then asked if I could wait on the waiting area. As much as I want to stay by her side to make sure she's okay, I had to leave and let the nurses and doctors do their job. All I can do is wait, call for everyone looking for her and pray for her to be safe and out of harm's way. She's already had enough.

After waiting for minutes, Razel and Keith arrived. When my mind cleared of the worry for Ciarra, I informed Keith and Ambrose that I already found her. As much as Yula wanted to see his sister, he was still recovering so he was forced to wait for any news back in the hospital. He must've felt guilty and thought that this happened to his sister because of him.

After hours of waiting, a doctor suddenly approached us. Keith cried after hearing the doctor's words. I couldn't breathe for a few seconds after he broke the news to us. Feeling my legs go weak, I sat at the chair, staring at the empty space where the doctor was standing just a few seconds ago.

I didn't feel Keith's arms when she kneeled in front of me and hugged me, wrapping her arms tightly around my shoulders. I let the tears flow as it landed on her shoulder one by one. She released a sob the same time my shoulders started to shake. Razel was just silently standing beside me, tapping my back.

The pain in my chest seemed to dig deeper in my system, it was fucking hard just to breathe.

"I'm sorry to inform you that Ms. Callaway is under a coma. She's reached the point of having moderate hypothermia nearly reaching severe hypothermia, and her pulse was already faint when she was brought in. I would like to be very honest with you, there is only a slim chance that she might survive this. However, we are doing everything we can to make sure that her body continues to generate heat and prevent further heat loss. She will be under strict monitoring, as one of the risks of having severe hypothermia is that her heart could stop beating at any moment, which I hope that it won't come to that. Let's just hope and pray for her recovery, for the sake of her baby."

I sat staring at her sleeping form. Despite the evident lack of color in her face, her slumber looked so peaceful. In her dreams, she wasn't hurting.

Holding her hand as she lay there unmoving, her skin still felt cold, however not as cold compared to when I found her at the cemetery. The nurses come and go, checking her temperature and heart rate every now and then.

It's been hours and she hasn't woken up yet. I stayed by her side when Keith and Razel went home. I asked Razel to take Keith home for the mean time. Too much stress could be bad for her.

It was incredibly warm inside her room, despite the raging downpour outside. The nurses had increased the temperature, so as to allow heat to enter her system. She lay on the bed with thick layers of warm blankets covering her delicate frame. They even asked me to change clothes, since I haven't changed after bringing her to the hospital.

I let go of her hand and replace it back inside the blanket when my phone vibrated inside my pocket. I took it out and saw my twin requesting to have a video call. I answered the call but was surprised when two pairs of identical faces were hovering over the phone.

"Is this on, B? Why is uncle not smiling? I think it's broken." Aleck's comment had me smiling, as the screen started to shake, almost giving me a headache.

The twins, Aleck and Beck, were like me and Keiran when we're still kids—inseparable. At the age of four, they became the family's source of joy, as well as a few headaches. It wasn't so hard smiling and laughing when these boys are always around.

Despite how hard it is to smile, these kids gave off a warm feeling that makes you think that everything would be fine. No matter how difficult your day was, they can still make you smile and laugh at their little antics.

"Oh! He smiled! It's not broken, A." Beck giggled in the background.

"Hey, you little troublemakers. What have you been up to?" At my voice, they looked at each other and gave me a cheeky grin. They were about to speak when something knocking off sounded in the background. They looked at their left simultaneously, eyes going wide for a moment before they ran off, dropping the phone in the process.

"You boys! If you steal and drop my phone again, I'm calling your father." Keiran's voice resounded in the background and her face was shown on the screen. She looked shock for a second, before her face brighten up, "Hey there brother. I see my boys have called you again."

"So, you're calling their father, huh?" I smirked at my sister at her own choice of words. She rolled her eyes and scoffed at me.

"Yes. Because they are their father's son." I shook my head and chuckled at her response.

"Uh-huh, and when they are behaving well, they're your sons."

She grinned, "Well of course." She laughed but frowned after, "Don't give me that shitty smile and dry laugh, Ivory. Where are you? And what happened?" She must've notice that I'm not in my office. I forgot that she's my twin and she knows every little thing about me.

I quickly explained the situation to her, asking her even to take my place in the company for a while. A look of shock was evident on her facial expression, before it was replaced by sadness.

"Of course. You could've called sooner."

"My mind was occupied these days, I'm sorry." She nodded, sympathy and sorrow shining in her green eyes.

"Well, you take care, brother. I'll see you soon, yeah?" I nodded and ended the call with my sister, the same time a nurse went in to check on Ciarra again.