Chapter 8 - Oma and Shu

- Third POV -

Zuko is sitting on Song's front porch. Song comes outside and sits beside him.

"Can I join you? I know what you've been through. We've all been through it. The Fire Nation has hurt you" Says Song as she reaches out to touch Zuko's scar, only to have Zuko push her hand away.

"It's okay. They've hurt me, too" Song pulls up her pants to reveal a burn scar on her leg. Zuko looks at the scar in shock.

❀❀❀

Chong and his group are singing loudly, much to Sokka and Aang's annoyance.

"Oh, don't let the cave-in get you down! Don't let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown!" Sings Chong as he walks past the duo.

"When the tunnels are darkest, that's when you need a clown, hey! Don't let the cave-in get you down, Sokka!" Sings Moku as he nudges Sokka who scowls at him.

❀❀❀

"Katara, are you okay?" Asks Mizuki as she lets go of Katara and removes the stones and dirt from her clothing.

"Yeah, you?" Asks Katara as she fixes her hair loopies.

"I'm fine" Reassures Mizuki.

"Wait, where are the others?" Asks Katara worriedly.

"I'm not sure" Sighs Mizuki upset as she looks around. Suddenly, she notices a door.

"Look!" Mizuki points at the door.

"We found the exit!" Beams Katara as she rushes towards the door. The two struggle to open it, but after a few minutes, the door opens. Katara enters the room only to have her look of hope change into one of disappointment.

"This isn't the exit, it's a tomb" Sighs Katara upset.

"Come on, we might find clues here" Shrugs Mizuki as she examines the room.

"It must be the two lovers from the legend; that's who's buried here" Points out Katara as she looks around.

"These pictures tell their story" Mizuki looks at multiple paintings and begins reading them out loud.

"They met on top of the mountain that divided their two villages..." Two figures, a man dressed in red and a woman in blue, meet atop the mountain. They take each other's hands, though they swiftly let go.

"The villages were enemies, so they could not be together, but their love was strong and they found a way" Two hills appear; on the closer one is the man, while the woman kneels on the one farther away. Though their faces cannot be seen in detail, it is obvious that they long for the other.

"The two lovers learned earthbending from the badgermoles; they became the first earthbenders" The painting of a badgermole is shown, as well as that of the young couple beginning to create the labyrinth.

"They built elaborate tunnels, so they could meet secretly. Anyone who tried to follow them would be forever in the labyrinth" The pattern of a labyrinth appears as the couple kisses.

"He'd died in the war between the two villages. Devastated, the woman unleashed a terrible display of her earthbending power - she could have destroyed them all..." The woman is seen weeping by a grave.

"But, instead, she declared the war over. Both villages helped her build a new city where they would live together in peace" The woman is seen standing on a hill surrounded by the two villages. There's a painting of Omashu.

"The woman's name was Oma and the man's name was Shu. The great city was named Omashu as a monument to their love"

"Love is brightest in the dark" Mumbles Katara as she reads the inscription on the relief in the wall. Meanwhile, on the other side of the cave, Sokka glares at the map while Momo comically perches on the top of his head.

"Oh, great! Your plans have led us to another dead end!" Scoffs Moku.

"At least I'm thinking of ideas and trying to get us out of here, Moku" Retorts Sokka defensively as he glares at the nomad.

"Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. We're thinking of ideas‌? Because I've had an idea for, like, an hour now" Says Chong confused.

"Yes! We're all thinking of ideas!" Snaps Aang angrily as he spreads his arms out dramatically.

"Well, then listen to this: If love is the key out of here, then all we need to do is play a love song!" Exclaims Chong as begins to play another song, much to Sokka's dismay.

❀❀❀

"I have a crazy idea" Says Katara as she looks at the portrait of the two lovers.

"What is it?" Asks Mizuki curiously.

"Never mind. It's too crazy" Replies Katara as she looks away.

"Come on Katara! We've been trapped in this room for hours" Complains Mizuki.

"I was thinking, the curse says we'll be trapped in here forever unless we trust in love..." Begins Katara.

"Go on" Says Mizuki impatiently.

"And here, it says, Love is brightest in the dark" Continues Katara.

"Just get to the point" States Mizuki slightly annoyed.

"Well, my mom once told me-" Katara gets cut off by Mizuki.

"Katara we don't have any time to talk about your mom we need to get out of here right now!" Snaps Mizuki as Katara's eyes widen out of shock.

"Well that was uncalled for, I was just trying to help" Scoffs Katara angrily, however, there can be heard a hint of sadness in her voice.

"Katara- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to" Apologizes Mizuki quickly, realizing that she just said something she shouldn't have. Katara furrows her eyebrows.

"Oh really? You didn't mean to? Then why did you!" Says Katara annoyed before crossing her arms defensively as she turns around and glares at the wall. Mizuki looks upset at Katara and takes a deep breath.

"I'm...I'm kinda jealous of you" Admits Mizuki as she looks at Katara, who turns around confused.

"Jealous?" Says Katara in disbelief.

"Yeah. You're always able to talk about your mother and grief in a healthy way. I wish I could do that" Sighs Mizuki as she looks down at the ground.

"I can't do that, I just bottle up my emotions until...well- they kinda just explode. If that makes any sense atleast"

"Mimi-" Katara gets cut off by Mizuki once again.

"But that's no excuse for me to take my anger out on you, I'm sorry Katara" Apologizes Mizuki before getting strangled in Katara's embrace.

"After you lost your parents, did you ever talk about it with someone?" Asks Katara as she lets go of Mizuki.

"No, I was completely alone" Replies Mizuki upset while trying to hold back her tears.

"Until I met you and your brother atleast" Says Mizuki in a slightly happier tone.

"Aww" Smiles Katara.

"Seriously though, I own you guys my life" Chuckles Mizuki.

"You're welcome~!" Jokes Katara as Mizuki begins to laugh.

"All jokes aside, would you like to talk about- well you know, your loss?" Asks Katara.

"But we need to get out of this cave" States Mizuki in an attempt to avoid talking about her feelings.

"We've been here for hours, it doesn't really matter anymore" Mentions Katara.

"Alright then" Says Mizuki as she looks at Katara. Meanwhile, somewhere else in the cave, Chong and his nomads are playing love songs.

"Even if you're lost, you can't lose the love because it's in your heart~" Sings Chong while Aang and Sokka share an annoyed glance.

To be continued

Word count: 1.196