Chapter 20 - swamp benders

"Set my lines by the river bed! Caught ten fish and I killed 'em dead! Cut 'em and gut 'em and I tossed the heads in the water to keep them catgators fed~!" Sings Tho as he looks at Appa, who's trapped inside a net. He's holding a sack, which contains a certain lemur. The boats stop when a jet of water appears and destroys the boat next to Tho and Due's.

"Appa!" Shouts Aang as he airbends a stream of air, throwing Tho into the water and freeing Momo who was being held by Tho.

"We're under attack!" Yells Due as he scoops up a puddle of water and sends it towards Aang, Mizuki and Katara. They all become engaged in a waterbending fight, with neither side gaining an advantage.

"Hey, you guys are waterbenders!" Exclaims Katara.

"You too! That means we're kin!" Says Due as he stops fighting the teenagers. He turns around to see Sokka and a man run up to them.

"Hey Huu! How you been?" Greets Tho.

"You know, scared some folks, swung some vines, the usual" Grins Huu.

"Huu?" Mutters Sokka confused. Is that his name?

❀❀❀

Team Avatar and the habitants of the swamp are sitting around a campfire.

"How you like that possum chicken?"Asks Due.

"Tastes just like arctic hen. So why were you guys so interested in eating Appa? You've got plenty of those big things wandering around" Sokka points at the catgator lying behind Tho and Due.

"You want me to eat old Slim? He's like a member of the family!" Protests Due as he gives a fish to Slim. Sokka throws a bug at the catgator; it bounces off his nose and he growls at Sokka, who cowers slightly.

"Oh, he don't eat no bugs! That's people food" Laughs Due.

"Where'd you say you was from?" Asks Tho.

"The South Pole, and she's from the North Pole" Replies Katara while pointing at Mizuki.

"Didn't know there was waterbenders anywhere but here. They got a nice swamp there, do they?"

"No, it's all ice and snow" Informs Katara.

"Hmm. No wonder you left" Shrugs Due.

"It's weird how we're all Water Tribe, but didn't even know of each other's existences" Points out Mizuki as she looks at the campfire, wondering if there could be other forgotten tribes. Maybe even Air Nomads...

"Well, I hope you realize now that nothing strange was going on here. Just a bunch of greasy people living in a swamp" Says Sokka as he looks at Mizuki, who deadpans.

"What about the visions?" Mentions Katara.

"I told you, we were hungry. I'm eating a giant bug!" Protests Sokka as he holds up a huge bug.

"But what about when the tree showed me where Appa and Momo were?" Asks Aang while feeding Momo.

"And what about the voice?" Complains Mizuki.

"That's Avatar and dualbender stuff, that doesn't count...the only thing I can't figure out is how you made that tornado that sucked us down" Sokka looks at Huu, waiting for him to explain his question.

"I can't do anything like that. I just bend the water in the plants. On the other hand, you guys might have met the eagle spirit" Explains Huu.

"Could you tell me more about this spirit?" Asks Mizuki.

"For as long as our tribe can remember, the eagle spirit has been living in this swamp, protecting it from those who want to harm it. We were lucky, and the spirit let us stay here, if we promised to protect the swamp. In return for our service, the spirit let us use a bit of his power. The chosen ones are able to gain enlightment from this swamp, I was one of those people, including your friend Aang" Informs Huu.

"So, this eagle spirit protects this forest, and has vision powers?" Asks Mizuki.

"That's all we know about him, he doesn't show himself often" Shrugs Huu.

"I'm going to meditate for a while, goodnight guys" Says Mizuki before leaving the campfire. After walking for a while, Mizuki has reached the heart of the swamp. She sits down in front the tree, and begins to meditate in the hope to enter the spirit world. However, after a second or two, she gets hit in the face by a small gust of air. Mizuki sighs annoyed as she pushes her long bangs away. Suddenly, another air blast pushes her in the back.

"Eagle spirit, stop messing with me!" Scoffs Mizuki as she brushes the dust off her clothes.

"Ha, you finally found out" Chuckles a voice. Mizuki quickly turns around, and sees a figure standing in front of her. She slowly approaches it, and recognizes the creature. It was Washi, a spirit she met when she first entered the spirit world.

{flashback}

Mizuki opens her eyes, only to find out that she's not in the Western Air Temple anymore. She's standing in front of a big tree.

"Woah" Gasps Mizuki as she reaches out to the tree. However, before she can touch it, a humanoid spirit towers behind her.

"What do you think you're doing? Don't you know better then to touch this sacred tree?" Threathens the spirit.

"I'm sorry, I promise! I didn't know!" Panics Mizuki as she looks at the figure towering over her. The spirit has huge wings, glowing eyes, big claws, and seems to represent an eagle. However, he does have a few human characteristics. Such as his head, torso and legs.

"You're not dead, are you?" Asks the spirit curiously.

"Why would I be?" Deadpans Mizuki, earning a chuckle from the spirit.

"Then you must have a strong spiritual connection, to enter the spirit world at such a young age" Points out the spirit.

"I'm already eleven years old!" Scoffs Mizuki offended while crossing her arms.

"Ah, I almost forgot that humans have such short life times" Chuckles the spirit as he circles around Mizuki.

"What's your name, little girl?" Asks the spirit curiously.

"I don't talk to strangers" Replies Mizuki dryly before walking away.

"Aww, come on. Don't be like that~" Pleads the spirit.

"Fine, but tell me your name first" Demands Mizuki.

"I am King Washi, the lord of all the spirits and-" Washi gets cut off by Mizuki.

"Liar! Spirits don't have kings or lords" Retorts Mizuki as she points at Washi's face.

"Hah, what a smart little creature you are" Says Washi amused.

"I'm Mizuki"

"What makes you come here, Mizuki?" Asks Washi curiously.

"I was meditating, and happened to enter the spirit world" Explains Mizuki.

"So this is your first time being here?" Asks Washi while Mizuki nods in response.

"Tell me more about yourself" Grins the spirit.

{end flashback}

To be continued

Word count: 1.092