Chapter 14 - a trade

Aang is holding Tom-Tom in his arms as he walks down the hill he was standing on towards Team Avatar, who's waiting next to Appa.

"You do realize we're probably walking right into a trap, right?" Asks Sokka.

"I don't think so. I'm sure the governor wants his son back as much as we want Bumi" Replies Aang as he looks at the sleeping baby in his arms and smiles.

"It's a new day. I have a good feeling about this" States Aang.

❀❀❀

Somewhere in Omashu, a royal palanquin is being carried up the stairs towards the house of the governor. The silhouette of Azula can be seen through the veils. Mai awaits the arrival of the palanquin at the base of the stairs. Azula gets out and walks towards Mai along with Ty Lee. They halt before her. Mai puts her hands together and bows slightly towards Azula.

"Please tell me you're here to kill me" Says Mai as she looks up at Azula and a slight smile appears on her otherwise emotionless face. Both girls start to laugh.

"It's great to see you, Mai" Azula places her hands on Mai's shoulders before Ty Lee rushes towards Mai to hug her. Mai pats her back with her left hand.

"I thought you ran off and joined the circus. You said it was your calling" Mai looks confused at Ty Lee, wondering why she left the circus, the place where she wanted to be.

"Well, Azula called a little louder" Smiles Ty Lee as she lets go of Mai.

"I have a mission and I need you both" Begins Azula as she places a hand on both her friends' shoulders.

"Count me in. Anything to get me out of this place" Grunts Mai annoyed.

❀❀❀

Azula is sitting on the throne of Omashu, flanked by two Fire Nation guards. The governor and his wife are in front of her, as well as Mai and Ty Lee.

"I apologize. You've come to Omashu at a difficult time. At noon we're making a trade with the resistance to get Tom-Tom back" Apologizes Ukano, who's squatting down on a pillow.

"Yes, I'm so sorry to hear about your son, but really, what did you expect by just letting all the citizens leave?" Begins Azula as she crosses her legs.

"My father has trusted you with this city and you're making a mess of things!" Exclaims Azula in a harsher tone while standing up.

"Forgive me, Princess" Replies Ukano while Azula walks between the four bowing people in front of her, looking down at the governor.

"You stay here. Mai will handle the hostage trade so you don't have a chance to mess it up" Demands Azula while Mai and Ty Lee get up and follow her.

"And there is no more 'Omashu'. I'm renaming it in honor of my father, the city of New Ozai" States Azula before leaving the room.

❀❀❀

Team Avatar is standing on a large wooden scaffold. In front of them, three girls approach; Mai, Azula, and Ty Lee. Suddenly, they notie a crane, which lowers a metal cage. The metal cage is used to contain king Bumi. Only his head is left uncovered.

"Hi, everybody!" Grins Bumi. Aang smiles the moment he sees his friend.

"You brought my brother?" Asks Mai.

"He's here. We're ready to trade" Informs Aang.

"I'm sorry, but a thought just occurred to me. Do you mind?" Azula looks at Mai.