Chapter 27 - Earth Rumble VI

- Third POV -

Team Avatar is standing inside a shop, gathered around a green bag.

"It's pricey...but I really do like it" Mutters Sokka while staring at the bag.

"Then you should get it, you deserve something nice" Says Katara.

"I do, don't I? But no, it's too expensive. I shouldn't" Continues Sokka.

"All right, then don't" Sighs Katara before walking away in boredom. Aang and Mizuki get up and follow her. Sokka pauses for a moment and goes along, too, his eyes still on the bag. It becomes silent for a second.

"You know what? I'm gonna get it" Sokka walks back to the store with a smile on his face.

"I can't believe we spend almost ten minutes waiting for Sokka to decide if he wanted to buy a bag or not. How do you deal with him Katara?" Complains Mizuki. Suddenly, a man approaches the trio.

"Psst, psst! Hey, you kids love earthbending? You like...throwing rocks? Then check out Master Yu's Earthbending Academy!" Beams the man before he hands over a flyer to Aang. After doing so, he walks away.

"Look! There's a coupon on the back! The first lesson is free" Points out Aang.

"Who knows? This Master Yu could be the earthbending teacher you've been looking for" Mentions Katara while Sokka joins them, holding the green bag.

❀❀❀

Aang looks perplexed, wearing an Earth Kingdom outfit and a green hat. Turning to his right, he sees that all the younger children with whom he is standing in line with sport a serious expression and he promptly straightens his back. Their teacher, Master Yu, moves toward his two opposing rows of pupils. The row opposite of Aang has rocks placed in front of them.

"Take your stances!" Exclaims Master Yu as his students take their fighting stances, except for Aang.

"Now, strike as if you're punching through your opponent's head!" Exclaims the man before he demonstrates the movement he means. The pupils lift their rocks. The student that stands across Aang fires his rock at him. Aang gets hit by the rock in the gut and smashes into a vase in the shape of a tea pot by the impact of the blow.

"So, are you ready to commit to more lessons? If you pay for the whole year in advance, I'll bump you up to the next belt!" Says Yu as he approaches Aang. Aang stares at him, covered in sand and shards. Only his eyes, nose and right hand are visible. The sand shifts and covers his face completely. Moments later, Aang walks out of the academy with the other students and returns to his friends.

"How was your lesson?" Asks Mizuki curiously.

"Ehhh, he's not the one" Replies Aang as he beats his right ear, causing sand to fall out of his left ear. Two students pass by Team Avatar.

"I think The Boulder's going to win back the belt at Earth Rumble VI" Mentions one of the students.

"He's going to have to fight his way through the best earthbenders in the world to get a shot at the champ" Grins the other one. Aang overhears their conversation and runs after them.

"Excuse me, but where is this earthbending tournament, exactly?" Asks Aang politely.

"It's on the island of Noneya...'Noneya' business!" Retorts the student sarcastically. The students laugh and walk away as Aang turns around disappointed. Sokka walks up to Aang laughing while Katara glares at them.

"Sokka, stop being a jerk!" Scolds Mizuki.

"Oh, I got to remember that one!" Chuckles Sokka before getting hit on his head by Mizuki.

"I'll take care of this" Reassures Katara before walking away. "Hey, strong guys! Wait up!" Exclaims Katara as she fakes a smile before approaching the male students. Meanwhile, Sokka looks at his new bag.

"What was I thinking? I don't need a new bag! Why did you let me buy this?" Says Sokka angrily before putting the bag down and crossing his arms.

"If you don't like it I'll take the bag" Teases Mizuki.

"No! It's mine" Scoffs Sokka before picking up the bag. Katara comes running back.

"You ready to find an earthbending teacher? Because we're going to Earth Rumble VI!" Grins Katara.

"How'd you get them to tell you?" Asks Aang surprised.

"Oh...a girl has her ways" Smiles Katara while Mizuki looks at her in surprise.

"Katara, teach me the ways please" Pleads Mizuki as she grabs Katara's shoulders. Meanwhile, not to far away, the two students are frozen together in an alley. Looks like Katara didn't go easy on them.

❀❀❀

Team Avatar enters the arena where the Earth Rumble VI is going to be held. Team Avatar walks into an empty row of seats.

"Hey, front row seats! I wonder why no one else is sitting here" Points out Aang. Team Avatar sits down but quickly jumps back up as a huge rock smashes into the seats next to them.

"I guess that's why" Sweatdrops Sokka.

"Welcome to Earth Rumble VI! I am your host, Xin Fu!" Shouts the host.

"This is just going to be a bunch of guys chucking rocks at each other, isn't it?" Sighs Katara while Mizuki deadpans.

"That's what I paid for" Grins Sokka.

"Of course Aang and Sokka's second option for finding an earthbending teacher would be to go to some sort of wrestle-mania" Facepalms Mizuki frustrated. I should've seen this coming. How are we going to find Aang an earthbending teacher here? All these people are just guys who like to throw rocks, literally. His teacher is supposed to be a wise earthbender.

"The rules are simple. Just knock the other guy out of the ring, and you win!" Explains the host before a bell rings.

"Round one: The Boulder vs. The Big Bad Hippo!" As the host speaks, the Boulder raises his arms and turns around to the cheering of the audience. The hippo roars loudly.

"Listen up, Hippo. You may be big, but you ain't bad! The Boulder's gonna win this in a landslide!" Yells the Boulder confidently.

"Hippo...mad!" The Hippo raises his arms in anger and stomps one foot. Katara and Mizuki share an unsure glance. Is it too late to leave yet?

To be continued

Word count: 1.009