Chapter 25 - jail

- Third POV -

Aang is sitting in a circle with three other inmates.

"This girl you're talking about? She'll come around. You just gotta hang in there" Reassures one of the prisoners.

"You think so?" Asks Aang surprised.

"Sure"

"Yeah"

"You're a catch"

"I don't know..." Mutters Aang upset.

"Hey! You're smart, handsome, funny. Not to mention you're the Avatar" Exclaims one of the prisoners.

"You guys are great" Smiles Aang.

"Don't be afraid to tell her how you feel" Sniffs another prisoner as he wipes his tears away. Apparantly, this was an emotional topic for him. Poor guy, someone give him a hug.

❀❀❀

"This piece is called 'The Birth of Kyoshi'" Says Oyaji as he points at a painting that depicts Kyoshi and some of the villagers.

"It was painted at sunrise on this day this island was founded. Why, it was today in fact, three hundred and seventy years ago" Informs Oyaji.

"Three hundred and seventy years? Wait, are you sure it was today?" Asks Sokka surprised as he spins around in shock, spitting out some of the bubbles he swallowed.

"Oh, seeing how it's Kyoshi Day, yes, I'm sure" Replies Oyaji while Mizuki stares at the painting.

"This ceremony didn't take place at sunrise. It took place at sunset. Look at the shadows" Points out Mizuki.

"They point east. So the sun must have been in the west" Continues Katara.

"So what?" Says Oyaji confused.

"If Kyoshi was in the ceremony at sunset, she couldn't have been in Chin committing the crime. She has an alibi!" Exclaims Sokka as he shoves Katara out of the way.

❀❀❀

It's nighttime. Katara, Sokka, and Mizuki are visiting the prison in which Aang is kept. Aang listens to his friends, who explain the evidence they had found.

❀❀❀

"Honorable Mayor, we've prepared a solid defense for the Avatar. We did an investigation and found some very strong evidence" States Katara confidently.

"Thanks to my hard work" Whispers Sokka proudly while Mizuki rolls her eyes, but can't help to smile a little.

"Evidence? Hmph! That's not how our court system works" Scoffs the mayor. Upon hearing this, Team Avatar looks at the man in shock.

"Then how can I prove my innocence?" Asks Aang confused.

"Simple. I say what happened. Then you say what happened, and then I decide who's right" States the mayor. The teenagers look at each other, horrified by this news. How were they going to get Aang out of jail?

"That's why we call it justice. Because it's "just us'" Exclaims the mayor before leaving the room, laughing maniacally. This man is nuts...

❀❀❀

Team Avatar, the mayor, and the villagers are inside of the village's amphitheater. Katara, Sokka, and Mizuki are sitting at the front.

"Everyone loved Chin the Great because he was so great. Then the Avatar showed up and killed him, and that's how it happened" Says the mayor emotionally before walking away with a smile on his face.

"The accused will now present its argument" States a guard.

"You can do it, Aang. Just remember the evidence" Whispers Sokka.

"Right...evidence" Mutters Aang unsure, who's still tied up.

"Ladies and gentlemen..." Aang shifts his eyes to the left while he is trying to remember what to say.

"I'm about to tell you what really happened. And I will prove it with facts. Fact number one. Uhhh-" Aang raises his finger to count along, but blanks out. Mizuki is quick to grab Sokka's foot, lift it up, and point at it. Aang sees this and continues his speech. Mizuki lets go of Sokka's foot, and Sokka struggles to keep balance.

"Would you warn me next time before grabbing my foot?!" Whispers Sokka angrily.

"Oh, yeah! You see...I have very large feet" Says Aang awkwardly. The villagers are unimpressed by his argument, especially since Aang does not have very large feet.

"Furthermore...your temple matches your statue" The villagers look from one to the other, not knowing where Aang is going with this.

"But...I was in a painting at sunset. So, there you have it, I'm not guilty" Aang quickly ends his exposition with a big smile. Katara facepalms, Sokka sighs frustrated while Mizuki deadpans.

"I even gave him a hint about the footprint!" Complains Mizuki. Suddenly, Aang looks at his friends, who give him a fake smile. Sokka even gives Aang a 'thumbs up' gesture.

"He's dead" Whispers Sokka to his sister.

"How are we going to get him out of jail?" Sighs Mizuki frustrated.

❀❀❀

Zuko sits next to the campfire as Iroh walks into the cave to inspect a new tea set.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping" Says Iroh as he picks up a big, gold-colored teapot. "But where did you get the money?" He asks.

"Do you like your new teapot?" Asks Zuko while trying to avoid his uncle's question.

"To be honest with you..." Iroh puts the pot down and approaches his nephew. "the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot or a tin cup" Says Iroh before sitting down next to Zuko. "I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty" Iroh places a hand on Zuko's shoulder.

"There's no honor for me without the Avatar" Replies Zuko bitterly.

"Zuko...even if you did capture the Avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now" Sighs Iroh.

"Then there is no hope at all" States Zuko before turning away from his uncle. Zuko wants to stand up and leave the cave, but Iroh grabs him by the shoulders and sits him down.

"No, Zuko! You must never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength"

To be continued:

Word count: 951