Chapter 26 - one last testimony

- Third POV -

"Mayor Tong, I'd like for the court to hear one last testimony" States Mizuki.

"I've already told you, it's just me and the accused. You can't call any witnesses!" Scoffs the mayor.

"This isn't just any witness. I'm going to call Avatar Kyoshi herself" Replies Mizuki while spreading her arms as the villagers murmur among themselves while someone exits the temple. The guard escorts Aang in Kyoshi costume, to the front. Mizuki sits back down, and looks at Aang nervously. Kyoshi is Aang's past life. Maybe wearing her stuff will trigger something. I hope atleast.

"This is a mockery of Chin Law!" Shouts the mayor angrily.

"Please! If you could just wait one more second, I'm sure Kyoshi will be here!" Pleads Katara. Aang is standing in the middle of the square, hiding his face behind one of Kyoshi's fans. He peeks over the fan.

"Hey, everybody! Avatar Kyoshi here" Says Aang in a high pitched voice while rapidly blinking his eyes.

"This is ridiculous! For the murder of Chin the Great, this court finds the Avatar–" Aang looks down in defeat, but is suddenly engulfed in a tornado of earth. The mayor holds on to his hat to prevent it from being blown away. The sky darkens and when the tornado dies down, Aang is gone and the spirit of Kyoshi has taken his place.

"I killed Chin the Conqueror" Admits Avatar Kyoshi. "A horrible tyrant, Chin was expanding his army to all corners of the continent" She explains. "When they came to the neck of the peninsula where we lived, he demanded our immediate surrender. I warned him that I would not sit passively while he took our home. But he did not back down" Continues Kyoshi. "On that day, we split from the mainland" Informs Avatar Kyoshi.

{flashback}

Avatar Kyoshi's eyes glow for a second, signaling the Avatar State. She jumps up and stretches one of her fans to the left as she lands. A powerful fissure rips through the earth and explodes at the edge of the cliff. She repeats that move to the right now with the same effect. Kyoshi calmly closes her fans and slams them into the ground, causing the whole peninsula to shake. Chin still stands in his earthbending stance. He watches how Kyoshi makes a arge crack in the earth. With a series of wide arm movements, she bends the lava up from underneath the landmass to sever it completely.

As the wall of lava dies down again, chunks of rock fall to the ground. Kyoshi spins around and creates a powerful gale right beside Chin, blowing part of his army away and making the rest run away in fear. The lava has seeped into the sea and Kyoshi blows the island away from the mainland with the use of airbending. Chin holds on to his hat as he watches the island go. He screams in anger while the rocks under him start to cave. He plummets to his death in the waters below.

{end flashback}

"I created Kyoshi Island so my people could be safe from invaders" States Kyoshi before slanting her eyes. She is engulfed by the sand tornado once more. The mayor Tong kneels to the ground and covers his head. While the sandstorm keeps spinning around Kyoshi, the darkness is lifted. Sokka holds Katara and Mizuki protectively in his arms while they cling on to Momo. When the tornado disappears, Aang is standing there once again, swaying from side to side. Katara rushes towards Aang and catches him right before he collapses.

"So, what just happened?" Asks Aang confused.

"Uhhh...you kind of confessed. Sorry" Replies Katara awkwardly.

"And I find you...guilty! Bring out the Wheel of Punishment!" Shouts the mayor, much to the teenagers' dismay. The villagers break out into cheers as they hear the sentence. Momo looks around, before covering up his eyes with his tail.