CH 30 Didn't You Hear?

Alex's POV:

After Anthony said the magic words, I was able to finally come back to reality...

The three most needed words I needed to hear. "You're above this."

The same words he told me only a couple of months ago. The same words that encouraged me to end things between Justin. The same words that inspired me to look further into myself and realize just what I deserved. And it was not him, and once I wanted to talk it through with him. He decided he didn't want to change, and leave for the better.

However walking back into the house, and pretending that nothing happened between me and Justin, was easier said than done. I wish I could disappear into my books, and transfer to a different dimension. Helping me escape my current reality. But I knew in this moment I was in control. I was writing the story.

Justin had no more control over me. He was simply just another neighbor, well... his mom was simply just a neighbor. Which makes sense why I hadn't seen her in a couple of months, she was too busy planning a— a— wedding...

"If I didn't know any better Alex, I would have thought you were a grade A actor." Anthony whispered, as he passed me. Setting down our mom's crystal bowl on the counter. "Just portraying another role." He said, fully turning to me now.

"I've had practice." I said, through a fake smile and gritted teeth. "You know how mom feels when we aren't on our best behavior."

"It was wrong of her not to tell you about the Robinson's." He stated softly, still aware of the people around us. "If I were her I would have—"

"Well you aren't her Anthony." I stated, still with a smile on my face. "I'm sure she had her reasons..." I whispered, as I looked at Mrs. Lockwood and smiled.

"Uh-hu. Well..." he said, picking up the bowl. "She seems pretty guilty about it now." He looked over to our mother who was now talking to a few housewives huddled in the vast dinning room corner. "She hasn't came over and talked to us or dad the rest of the night."

"I'm sure we'll get word of her reasonings, when we are in the private walls of our own home." I said softly, as I watched our mom roll her shoulders back, and put on a charming smile. "Speaking of home..." I stated, now looking at my brothers pinched face pointed in the direction behind me.

I almost turned around when he nodded his head in that direction. Somewhat directing someone over to the area he was previously looking. But before I could turn my body he looked back down to me. Blinking as if he was listening the entire time.

"What about home?" He asked, innocently.

I cleared my throat, as I looked at him intently. Wondering what was going on, as I spoke. "I want to skip dessert."

"You want to skip Stacy Lockwood's crème brûlée?" He asked, all most shocked.

"Yeah." I nodded, "I've lost my appetite." I breathed out. Trying hard not to look behind me, or search the room for Justin or his fiancée.

"Okay, then." He stated firmly. Only to then shove the crystal bowl into my arms. Almost knocking me completely back. "Take the salad bowl home."

"Jesus, Anthony. Are you trying to—"

But before I could finish my sentence he placed his hand firmly on my back and lead me out of the large room. Pushing me in the direction of the front door. I almost turned around to hit him, but lost all sense of thought when I heard my name.

I turned quickly, and almost dropped the crystal bowl when my eyes caught sight of Christian and Luke... Alone... Together.

I felt my face pinch in skepticism as I looked at the two. The sharp contrast between the pale orange, and sandy caramel colors, played tricks on my mind. Making me feel as if I was imagining this moment in my mind. They looked... unnatural standing next to one another. And yet, Christian still seemed to be the focal point of my vision, despite Luke's messy red hair, and blue shirt that juxtaposed his white skin.