22| Hustling For The Good Life (3/4)

A/N: Sequel of Eyes Full Of Stars.

"H-how did we even get here? Gosh..." Shelly couldn't help wondering. Did she just...almost kiss him? She put her feet on the old wooden table while leaning to the chair. Around her, was a small room for her to live. Very easily to get broken or on fire, but somehow it never happened.

"Ouch..." She winced while carefully put the medical tape on her face. "Ugh...done. Gotta be carefully next time."

Knock knock.

"Come iiiin!" Shelly raised her voice didn't bother to get up. She knew exactly there's only one person except for her in the world that knows this house existed.

"I've got some nachos!" Colt grinned, "Want some?"

"God, you sound like a child sometimes." Chuckling, she jumped off to the ground and walked up to him.

It was a quiet moment when both of them were just eating and listening to the radio. It's been months since they've met. Both great con artist, hustling for the good life as they perched in the dark. Skeletons in closet and bodies in seas and underground. Emotionless and neat hands with thousands of weapons waiting to be used. Having trick upon their sleeves and played them one by one.

"Why do you give up on being a police?" She asked, "The salary isn't a joke."

"Well...I ruined a case, and mis-arrested the wrong person." He sighed. "It was an awful time...We still found the murderer at the end, but that poor man...it's all my fault, and I had never been more guilty."

She kept quite. Didn't expect that...

"Well, what about now? After you've killed tons of people?"

"No guilt. All we kill are the people that deserve it, but that man, no. He had a good life ahead of him."

"I guess you're right...Life is unfair, huh?" Shelly continued stuffing food into her mouth.

"Eh, not really." He picked his teeth. "At least you're my friend. Life is a bit better." He smiled.

She could feel her heart pounding faster. Oh no what is wrong with me...quickly, she took a deep breath before speaking again. "Yeah, good friends and partners, in business." She added.

"Partners."

"Mhm."

"By the way, Shell."

"Yeah?"

"Have I ever told you you look good with hair down?"

[2 months layer.]

"Just 5 more minutes..." Shelly stayed in bed, rubbing her eyes and focused on her book as the sunlight shined into her small room. "2 more pages."

"Fine, you lazy book worm..." Colt chuckling and got in the bed again, with his arms around her.

Around a few minutes later, she finally closed up the book. "Unbelievable."

"What? Plot twist ending?"

"Nope. Us. Unbelievable." Shelly stated, looking at her swinging feet. "From almost enemies, to friends, partners, and now...this."

"I like shining things but I'd still stay if you only have a paper bracelet." She chuckled, "Accidents aren't always Greta, except when we went from friends to this." She closed her eyes, feeling the warmth from his chest.

"We got work to do." Colt said gently and caressed her purple hair. "I told you, you look beautiful without a pony tail."

"Maybe. It's just for me to look fresh and clean." She mumbled, half asleep again.

"Alright, my beauty...let's go. The good life won't be far away, I promise. One day we'll be living in a big ol' city and live our lives there." He placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Hm...fine. Just one more kiss." She smiled and lifted her head. All she could see was his shining eyes and warm smile.

[2 weeks later.]

"We don't like being third wheels, just fuck at home already! It's party for everyone here!" A man yelled.

"Ay, we are just good friends! Don't say anything to him!" Shelly shouted back and rolled her eye, gaining tons of laughter form the bar.

"Shell."

"What's up?"

"You sure we have to keep our relationship in private?" Colt asked, "I sometimes find it weary..."

"Rich folks love a virgin young bloody lady, and a single one? Even better. It's for the business, I'm sorry." Shelly said and sighed. "Just like you, don't you find it easier to attract young actresses when they think you're not taken?"

"Yeah...maybe." Colt faked a smile.

"It's okay to be not okay." Sue smile sadly, "Don't force a smile. We could be the way forward, even if I have to pay for it. It's gonna be fine. One day we'll get out of the woods."

"Hey...know that I love you very much, k? I'll love you forever and ever." Colt held her closer and put a kiss on her cheek.

"Waaaait, we're still in a bar." Shelly giggled and pulled off.

"Fine...wanna dance?" He changed a topic.

"Dancing is a dangerous game. Even if we're dating, I won't change my mind." She stated and finished another cup.

Later the night, they waved goodbye.

Shelly walked herself home and sighed as she closed the door behind her. The house didn't change for a bit. What's worse, all her mind thinking was him. She could hardly focus of her work.

Guess you're a bandit like me...Eyes full of stars...Hustling for the good life...

We could be the way forward.

And I know.

I know I'll pay for it.