23| Forever Is The Sweetest (4/4)

A/N: Sequel of Hustling For The Good Life, aka the last chapter of this short story. Warning: Curses, very slight, implying sexual content.

It had been a week.

He finally came back home, heavily drunk.

"Colt! Didn't I tell you not to drink so much? Where have you been all week?" Shelly walked towards him as he stumbled sleepily.

It was another day. A bad one. They barely had time to chat. One was busy for work, and the other one, just wandered around and gone missing all the time.

Another week.

"Shelly, I'm sorry."

"Hey it's okay...remember you told me we'll stay together forever? I feel like I'm slowly believing in it." Shelly smiled warmly. "Go, the people are waiting."

This time was only 3 days until he's back.

It was a wild night. They were both high in an euphoria as they shared mad kisses. Her nails stretched down him back. His breathing on her like novocaine. Her hair down flawlessly, mixed with perfume and sweat. His pace slow and deep. The mattress, the sounds, the scent. Everything was so unforgettable.

And he never turned back again.

It was a quiet night.

Shelly was woken by the cool weather. It's autumn. She had a weird dream, of her and Colt just staying in a blanket, but she could something so painful, almost unbearable. Something, larger that a stagger, stabbing into her heart. It was a strange dream. They were good. At least they were good the last time Shelly saw Colt. Even though it was only 2 hours.

She put on her jacket as she felt she was losing the yearn to sleep. It was dark and she didn't bother to light up the candles. Simply walking to them living room, she sat on the chair, looking into nothing in the dark. She had no idea what she was doing either, but that dream was painfully realistic that it scared her.

Shelly yawned. She's way more tired than she expected.

Rest her head on the table, she felt something.

A note.

She stood up and grabbed the small piece of paper, and ran back to her own room. She held a candle and lightened it up. Putting it closer to the note, she could finally read the words carefully.

I'm sorry.
I'll still love you.
Forever.
-Colt.

The words. The pen and the ink. The handwriting. Yes it was Colt. She wouldn't not recognize his way to hold a pen. She wouldn't not recognize his finger moved as she watched him writing an essay to put it on the newspaper.

Her heart sinks. Something cracked. Vision went blurry.

It's over...?

Over a note?

After we haven't talked for...weeks?

Did he even come back?

A sudden flashback came.

She remembered.

Something touched her cheek when she was asleep, just a few hours ago.

Mosquitoes? Bugs? Leaves?

It was him.

His lips.

"Fuck fuck fuck...why was I so fucking stupid?" Shelly groaned as she grasped the note harder. "I should've known it...it so fucking stupid...it's a joke. It's been a joke. It's been me all fucking along..."

[2 months later.]

She threw away his cowboy hat that he left for her. She kept the note in a locket and wore it like a necklace. It's like cutting the open wound again every time she opened and read the note again, but she just couldn't get over it. That it's over. That he's never returning. That he's still a cowboy all along. That she's just another old toy to him.

"This, is because you fucking murdered your own girlfriend. She loved you so deeply." Shelly said emotionlessly as she chopped off the man's arm.

Throwing away the tool, she pulled out another chopping knife. "This, is for you not even realizing she's pregnant." She didn't hesitate to cut away his penis.

"AAAAAAAA! PLEASE! I'M SORRY! I SWEAR I WON'T DO THAT ANYMORE! I'M GONNA SUICIDE, JUST LEAVE ME!" He screamed as the blood flowed like a flood.

"Yeah? A sorry can save a broken heart? An innocent and pure heart that used to believe in you?" Shelly raised her voice in anger. "You don't know what I experienced, but I know exactly what SHE experienced, you fucking asshole."

She pulled the trigger.

Bam.

Another nutrition for the trees.

Cleaning up the mess, it was all quiet and lonely again. Even the birds had other half. Sighing, she curled up into a ball in her bed, trembling.

"I knew I'll pay for it...I'm never gonna love again..."

She still remember almost committing suicide after him disappearing for a month, until there was a moment of her thinking, "is it really worth it?"

She's still telling all the rich folks anything they wanted to hear. She could be the way forward only if they pay for it. She's still struggling in life, still hustling for better, still perching in the dark, still pacing back and forth, wishing him was at her door.

She blew the candle until the lights were out. Her heart was dead to this love, but it's okay now. She's never gonna love again.

The locket, the paper and the black ink, was something she could never get over.

But she had responded to it, only if he receive it or not? Following the way he sued to do, she put it on the newspaper, hoping sth tone day, he'd receive the message. And when he did, it's the closing of this unfinished book.

On million newspapers, there was a little section. A few coins to leave a shirt message or comment on it. People would read it, but never pay attention. I mean, who would?

"Forever is the sweetest...

Con."

~~~~~Author's Note~~~~~
Very badly written lol, but yeah it happens :) That's a LOT of references. Mostly my muse is from Cowboy Like Me by Taylor Swift! One of my all time favorites.
That's it! Thanks for reading this complete mess lol I love ya'll.
Have a lovely day and bye!