31| Happiness

A/N: I won't be happy when you read this. Exam is coming in days when it's the 1st of July. BUT this is a Colgar story, and very very cliche. Hope you'll enjoy!

A tear dropped down from her face.

"What's...happiness? The line is getting blurry..."

Edgar didn't speak a word. He carefully pulled Colette closer to his chest with his hand caressing her hair. "It's tiring. Everything..." She cling onto him harder and her muffle cries filled up the silent room. Lights off, the city was in dark, the smoke was slowly getting into the room they're staying.

"How did it all come to this? How..." Colette could hardly focus her vision. Sirens and screaming made her brain spin faster than the wheel of fortune.

"What if...you aren't real either? Are you also hiding some army?"

"Cole, I promise...it'll be okay. It's gonna be okay..."

"The smoke-"

"Shhh."

Edgar's scarf wrapped around Colette tightly to cover her sight, so that all she could feel was his presence. "You're here, and I'm here, and we're fine. This is happiness. Happiness is where we are together."

The sirens and alarms only got louder and more painful to ears. "Don't listen to them. Trust in Tara. She knows the best."

Colette grasped his shirt and didn't dare to look up once.

"Happiness...is between us..."

"Think of something good, Cole...Remember when we dance together? I almost stepped on your foot and you laughed? Our matching necklace had more chemistry than we did?" Edgar said in a calm and soothing voice. He kept on sending light kisses on her head to keep her at ease.

She closed her eyes and nodded slightly. "It was...happy."

"What about when you came back home crying while it was raining? I got you a blanket and we spent the night watching your favorite show?"

"That was a great memory." Colette chuckled and just stayed in silence to keep on listening to Edgar, talking about the past times they had.

The time Edgar was being the maddest emo ever that he tried to jump off a cliff. The time Colette caught a cold because she stayed outside to make snow angels for too long. The time his kisses were deep and passionate. The time her voice cracked because of tears. The time his hugs were warm and soft. The time she caressed his hair under the blossom season. The time he took the scarf and wrapped it around her. The time she tipped his nose with a kiss.

The lights were red, the time was black. The tears were from crocodiles and the poetry was from a jester. The screams and running and tripping and throwing up. Colette and Edgar ignored them all. They stayed in a blanket, holding onto each other.

Holding onto the beautiful ghosts.

[2 years later.]

"Happiness is you and me."

Edgar smiled and held Colette's hands in his.

"Stoooooop you make me wanna cry." Colette chuckled and wiped away a tear that ran down from her face. A tear of happiness. "I just turned 26! Don't make me cry on my birthday."

"You might cry, maybe." Edgar whistled a tune to tune down the tension, mostly he felt like it. It's way for anxious than he expected.

"So, Colette..."

He knelt down on one knee.

He took out the small box in his pocket, and opened it.

"Will you marry me?"

Colette froze for a moment.

Years, days, hours. Sweat, blood, tears. Smiling lips, glistening eyes. Loud voices, screeching sound. Everything they've been through. It all just came back in a sudden flash. How they met and how they started to date, and from a day, turned into weeks and months and years.

And it had come.

Finally.

"Do you think it's a question?" Colette chuckled and covered her eyes with her hands. The feelings came like a flood and she couldn't stop smiling while crying as well.

"I wanna hear it."

"Fine! Yes yes yes! Oh God it IS happening! Edgar I'm so grateful I know you I love you I love you I love you-"

"Okay okay, chill. Hand me your left hand please?"

Edgar, still kneeling, held her left hand and slipped the ring on her ring finger seamlessly. A small relief sigh escaped from his mouth. "It fits...thank God."

Before he could stand up, Colette had already ran to him and hugged him tightly. "Thank you thank you thanks you..how am I gonna live without you? Edgar I love you so much...I never imagine it'll come so....unexpectedly. Awwww the ring is so beautiful..."

Colette was totally lost in words. "I must be looking like a mess right now."

"My perfect mess."

"Eeeeeed."

"Or my future bride, shall I say?"

"EEEEEEEED!"

They spent the next hour kept walking around the garden. Summer was hot, but good as well. And it was happy, most importantly. Then, they stopped at a bench were they once cried together at. Now it's replaced by new memories. Happiness.

"Edgar, say..." her finger traced from his face.

"Hm, what?" Edgar chuckled slightly and acted normal, as if he wasn't getting electrical-like goosebumps every time their skin touched. It's been years, but he just still felt this way.

"What's....happiness?"

His eyes widened for a moment, remembering this tone and this question all too well.

"Happiness is..

Where love is at."

And he kissed her on the lips, as deeply and lovingly as the day he'll be on their wedding day.

[Years and years later.]

"Ed."

Colette nervously poked Edgar on the cheek and quietly woke him up. Her face was mixed with nerves and sweats.

"Hm...it's 3 am...what's wrong Cole?" Yawning, Edgar sat up and cupped her face with his hand, rubbing her cheek gently with his thumb.

"Chloe doesn't cry tonight? Should I feed her? Will she starve? Should I change the diaper? Or-"

"Woah woah...You make me feel like the most useless father ever." Edgar couldn't help laughing at the fact that she's more loving to their new born child than to him, all the years. It felt fair and unfair at the same time. He kept him voice low and pulled Colette closer to his heart. "Just let her sleep...if she's in need, she'll tell us, okay? Our little Chloe is alright."

She looked over to her 3-month old daughter again, and a warm genuine smile was shown. "Yeah...maybe I worried too much."

"You sure did. Look at your eye bags! Goodness, they're larger than my hiking pack." He rubbed Colette's arm and kissed her on the forehead. "Now will you take some rests? I'll be sure to make you pancakes tomorrow morning."

"Alright, you got me." Quietly giggling, Colette laid down again and slowly closed her eyes. It was almost an instant when she fell asleep. Laboring was painful, and carrying a baby was painful, and feeding her own baby was tiring, and feeling emotional roller coaster all the time was more tired than she'd like to admit. But it was good after all: They were safe, Chloe was healthy and in complete shelter, and Edgar was by her side.

And maybe this is happiness, where love begins, and continues.

~~~~~Author's Note~~~~~
I skip a LOT of their stories during the whole period lol. I skipped the marriage, the pregnancy pain, the labor, the naming, the everything, the Emz reaction, but well, I guess that's all I wanna write! Very free-hand and I actually have fun with it. :) Alr this is the end of the book and I love love love ya'll <333333333
Promise me, you will remember at least one of all those weird chapters?
Aight anywayssssss, thanks for reading. Wish ya'll the best in life and find your own happiness!
Until we meet again.