9

When Elizabeth woke up, she couldn't recall how she ended up in Steven's room

When Elizabeth woke up, she couldn't recall how she ended up in Steven's room. Sitting up, there was a dull pain in her head. The only thing she could do was squeeze her eyes shut, allowing the pain to pass before she opened her eyes again. She scanned her surroundings, searching for a certain curly-haired man when the memories of last night started to come back to her.

You made me do this, Lizzie.

Hearing Ara's voice in her head made her shiver, a feeling she would never expect to get from her older sister. Her bottom lip quivered as she felt the tears coming in, clouding her vision. She pulled her legs up to her chest and buried her face against them. Remembering the look on Ara's face felt like all of the blood underneath her skin started to run cold, traveling throughout her body, giving her goosebumps on every surface.

Elizabeth then heard the sound of a pair of footsteps approaching the bed. She felt the bed shift a little. She lifted her head and her eyes connected with Steve's dark brown ones. She felt relief wash over her, at least Steven was alight after what happened last night. She sat up straight, a small smile making its way to her face as she reached her hand up to his face, caressing his cheek with her thumb.

"You're alright." She muttered softly with her voice shaking. "You're alright."

"What's wrong?" Steven wanted to know why desperately.

"It's nothing. I- "

"Elizabeth." Steven cut her off, his voice had a pointed edge to it. "Tell what happened."

Elizabeth moved her hand down to his shoulder as she directed her gaze downwards. Her fingers curled around Steven's sweater. "Ara...she drugged me."

Steven's eyes grew wide in shock. "Drugged you?"

"She was at the museum last night. I was going to help you when she stopped me." Elizabeth paused, trying to suppress the fear inside. "But before I could do that, she drugged me."

"Why was she there?"

Elizabeth sighed, her shoulders rising and falling in sync. "Because she was helping Harrow."

It was then Elizabeth began to wonder how she ended up in Steven's flat, how was he well after the jackal that chased him. Elizabeth lifted her head, meeting his gaze once more. She then started to move her hands around his body, checking for any injuries that he might have suffered from the night before. She heaved a relieved breath when she saw none. Still, that hadn't answered why she was in his room.

And then she remembered, the pair of glowing white eyes staring down at her.

It couldn't be Steven, she thought. But the voice that came was similar to his, just without the accent.

"It's my fault." His voice snapped Elizabeth from her thoughts, her gaze quickly swept over to Steven, his face ridden with guilt as he shook his head.

"It's not your fault, Steven."