18

"Oh, my days

"Oh, my days."

Moments after they separated, Steven followed the pathway that Elizabeth had spotted earlier and went into the first room he had seen. And he felt that he was lucky to have found a large room. The room itself was spacious for a single sarcophagus. Ancient hieroglyphics lined the walls and pillars and different treasures were scattered about.

"First one in. Tomb fit for a pharaoh." he pointed his flashlight toward a horse statue made from gold and little statues shaped like ancient Egyptian soldiers. "Thutmose II, Nefertiti. Oh, it's gotta be one of the big 'uns."

So, you kissed her.

Marc's voice stopped Steven from his tracks, his gaze flickered to the water below him, where he could see his reflection.

And in front of Elizabeth.

His breath hitched when he heard it. Elizabeth saw him and Layla kissing. His heart sank as guilt racked his whole body.

He swallowed the lump in his throat and continued, "What are you gonna do? Try and drown us now?"

Yeah, I should. But you also told Layla the truth about why I've been pushing her away. And that was...unexpected.

"Yeah." Steven skipped over to the stone in front of him and now, he stood close to the tomb where he could see more treasures scattered around it. Everything was breathtaking, everything that he once read in books was now right in front of him.

"Wow. Look at that. Look at all these relics." he flashed the light over to the relics, eyeing them one by one with a smile, "Elizabeth would be thrilled if she sees this later."

As he approached the tomb he noticed some of the writings were not in Egyptian at all. "Macedonian? No. What?"

He turned off his flashlight and got on his knees to observe the writings closer. His eyebrows were scrunched together in confusion. "No way. That's not right. That can't be right. That's Macedonian. But the only pharaoh...but, I mean, he insisted on calling himself Egyptian...but."

He paused as he looked up at the foot of the tomb before slowly rising to his feet. His eyes were wide with awe and realization as it began to sink in on him.

"I think we're looking at the long-lost tomb of Alexander the Great."

•••

"Get behind me." Elizabeth told Layla as she moved her hand to where her weapon is, ready to use it when the time is right. Layla obeyed, taking a step back but keeping her eyes on Harrow who wore a smug smirk across his features as he gazed at the two women across the pit.

"You two handled that beautifully." He told them with admiration in his voice. Elizabeth didn't whether he was sincere or not, still, he was not to be trusted.