12

"Praise Ammit!"

"Praise Ammit!"

It was the boy's last words.

Marc's eyes went wide in shock when the boy he was holding near the ledge pulled out a sharp knife. It was by Khonshu's order that he wanted the boy to be put on near the edge of the cliff, to make him speak about Harrow's dig site. But things took an unexpected turn when the boy cut off his red scarf with the knife. Before Marc could even act, the boy was falling off the ledge, plummeting to his death.

Marc took a few steps forward, peering down at the last person who had information about Harrow's dig site now dead. Khonshu appeared beside Marc, sitting by the ledge with his legs hanging off the edge as he too peered down at the body with a thoughtful look, not one ounce of sympathy for the boy.

Hmm. I thought he'd talk.

"What the hell's wrong with you, Steven?" Marc growled as he turned around, facing the back of a street sign where he could see Steven. He was frustrated at him because when he came to from blacking out earlier, Marc was holding a bloodied knife in one hand and one of Harrow's men in the other, his life already fading away. He looked around and two of the men he was chasing earlier in the city were dead except for the kid but now, he was gone too.

Now, all their leads were gone.

Me? You're the one going on a killing spree.

"I didn't do any of this." He argued back, gesturing to the two dead bodies on the ground.

Me neither. Listen, if you've got a problem with the body count. I suggest you stop listening to that stupid pigeon!

"Stay out of my way." Marc hissed, shooting Steven a threatening look before walking past the sign where he could no longer see Steven. "All right, well, if we can't find Harrow's digging crew, we're gonna have to stop 'em another way."

Marc came to a stop, sighing heavily as he thought of another way of stopping Harrow from releasing Ammit. Nothing came to his mind but the other Egyptian Gods, surely they wouldn't just let this happen under their noses. Marc turned to Khonshu, who was now seated on the top of an old rusty car.

"So? What about the other gods?" Marc queried, looking at Khonshu for answers. "Are they just gonna stand by and allow somebody to unleash Ammit?"

To signal for an audience with the gods is to risk their wrath.

"Why? What's the worst that could happen?" Marc asked, wondering what would happen if they were to face the wrath of the other Egyptian gods.

Anger them enough and they'll imprison me in stone.

"That doesn't sound so bad to me." Marc quipped, shooting Khonshu a look.

See how you fare against Harrow without the protection of my healing armor.