[ 009 ] what happened and what's going on?

FOUND LANDS.

chapter nine, what happened and
what's going on?
[ season five, episode nine ]

SHE NEVER KNEW BREATHING could be so hard. Odessa can't breathe. She doesn't want to breathe.

They bury Beth under a weeping willow tree. Odessa sits by her grave after everyone leaves. There's a cross at the head of the grave that says MY BETHY. Maggie was okay with it because Beth was her's too. Odessa and Maggie agree she's was their's and their's only.

They have to physically drag Odessa away from Beth's grave. She fights them. She cries. She tells them she can't leave Beth, not yet. They force her into the van. She ignores everyone. She doesn't speak.

All she can do is cry and live.

She doesn't want to live. She doesn't want to cry anymore.

They've left Georgia. Odessa doesn't mind. The state holds too much trauma. Their newest destination is a place just outside of Richmond, Virginia. It's Noah's community. They have walls, people, houses.

It's too good to be true.

Odessa doesn't go with them. Theo does.

They pull into the woods two miles out from Noah's neighborhood. "This is good," Rick says after they all get out of their vehicle. "Through the trees, it might just look like part of the wreck."

A walker begins to snarl from inside of one of the cars. Noah stares at it but points backwards. "It's this way."

Theo walks alongside Michonne, his hand on his gun cautiously. When the approach wire wrapped around trees, she asks, "your people do this?"

"Wanted to. They must have," Noah answers.

They all make their way through the wires. Noah gets a cut on his forehead. Theo grimaces at it. When they approach the tree line, Rick asks, "do they have spotters? A sniper?"

"We built a perch on a truck." Noah tells him. "Sometimes it's out front."

Theo looks at the walls and sees no perch. "Not today," he glances back at Noah. The group of six slowly make their way onto the road and walk towards the neighborhood.

Theo hears no laughter or people talking like he anticipates. Instead, he hears a distant banging.

"You hear that?" Noah asks.

"Just wait," Glenn says. He climbs the wall and glances over. Theo watches as Glenn's face morphs into one of disappointment and sadness. He looks back at his people and shakes his head.

Noah is the first over the wall. The rest follow. They look around the fallen community. Houses are burnt, garbage is strewn across yards. Dead bodies litter the streets, walkers stumble around.

Noah runs as fast as he can with his bad leg. When they come to an intersection, Noah stops and looks around frantically.

Then he begins to sob.

Theo's brows draw together in sadness for the big. He's lost his family. Noah falls on the ground just as Odessa had days earlier when she watched Beth die.

Theo looks around the community. This place fell hard, he realizes. He glances at the walkers approaching them. Then he sees something else. His brows furrow and his lips pull into a straight line.

WOLVES NOT FAR

Wolves? As in the animal? It can't be. A pack of wolves couldn't do this. Sure they could kill people but they couldn't burn down houses.