[ 018 ] the grim reaper.

FOUND LANDS.

chapter eighteen, the grim reaper.
[ season six, episode one ]

WHEN THEO WAS LITTLE he became a big brother. His little sister was his light. She loved her big brother. And her big brother loved her.

Penny was always so vibrant and joyful. She always wanted to play. She was always so active. Theo always did what she wanted. Whether it was playing tag or hide-n-seek, or if she wanted to sneak into someone's apartment and put those fireworks that you throw on the ground and they pop under someone's toilet seat.

But then she died because of Theo.

She asked him to sneak out of Woodbury with her. He did. Then that walker grabbed her and he panicked. He ran to get his father and Philip hit him so hard he lost hearing in his left ear for a week.

It wasn't until after Penny's death did his dad start hitting him. Philip was ruthless with his son. His people knew he hit him and they never did anything about it. He had too much power.

The only people he ever remotely worried about doing something was Tanner mother and son and Martinez. Martinez was a good man to Theo. He was always there for him when he needed to be. Theo doesn't know what happened to Martinez. All he knows is he didn't roll up to the prison with his father all that time ago. And that probably meant he was dead.

Theo could never bring himself to kill his father until it was someone else's life in his hand. He didn't kill his father until he was straddling Rick, beating him to death.

He thrusted Michonne's katana straight through his chest. He felt it. He watched it. He heard it. He smelt it. During those few seconds, he was the Grim Reaper. He reaped his father.

He hated— he still hates his father. But he understands Ron Anderson better than anyone else in Alexandria.

Expect one person.

And that would be Kathleen Cooper. But she would never say she related to Ron on another level. Only Deanna and Reg would know that. But Reg is dead now.

Theo stands between Cole and Abraham, his arms are crossed and his lips are pressed into a thin line. No less than thirty feet away from them are thousands of hungry walkers that are just waiting to break free from this quarry.

It's been a five days since everything happened in Alexandria. Since Reg and Pete died, since Morgan showed up, since the walkers got in.

When Morgan and Rick went outside the walls to bury Pete, they found a quarry. It's full of walkers. They're only trapped in there by a couple eighteen wheelers. All it takes is one more storm for the roads to fall. Then it would be a bad day for the people of Alexandria.

"This is where it all starts tomorrow." Rick announces. "Tobin gets in the truck, opens the exit and we're off. He hops out, catches up with his team at red, staying on the west side of the road. Daryl gets on his bike—"

A sudden rumble causes Rick to go quiet. "You see that?" Sasha points at the truck that's parked on the cliff.

The cliff breaks apart. The truck falls. And the walkers are free.

"Oh, shit!" Cole shouts.

"It's open! We gotta do this now!" Rick yells. "Theo, you're with me! Cole, you're with Glenn! Go!"

Cole nods. He, Glenn, Heath, and Nicholas all run in the direction of the tractor place. It's full of walkers that will distract the herd and get them off track.