[ 023 ] i believe.

FOUND LANDS.

chapter twenty-three, i believe.
[ season six episode eight ]

ODESSA CRIES OUT WHEN she crashes into the ground. She gasps at the pain in her side. She drops her hand to her side. When she pulls her hand away, there's blood.

Odessa looks at the walkers that spill into Alexandria. This is bad. This is so very bad. This is the end of Alexandria.

As a walker approaches Odessa, she realizes this is her end, too.

Instead, Cole Tanner changes her fate again. Because he fires a shot into the walker. He grabs Odessa's arms and pulls her up. "Infirmary," Odessa grits out through her teeth.

Cole nods, "okay."

They look back at the hundreds of walkers. "Oh, shit." Cole murmurs.

Cole rushed away from Kathleen when the walls fell. He saw Odessa go down. He knew she was injured and she wouldn't be able to get away from the walkers with the state of her wound. So he saved her life.

When Cole and Odessa reach the infirmary, Aaron is already there with the door open for them. They come barreling in. Heath and Spencer are there as well.

Outside, Theo blinks away the dust from his eyes. He's on his back. His rifle is digging into his back.  "Theo!" Someone shouts.

Kathleen is there a second later. "Get up," she hauls him onto his feet. "Let's go, Theo!"

They rush off. Carl and Ron find them quickly. Theo grabs Carl's arm, "thank God." Carl has an expression of relief wrote all over his features.  His big brother is alive.

Michonne and Gabriel find them shortly. "Where do we do?" Gabriel panics.

"We need to find Rick and Dessa!" Michonne tells them. They take off again. They find Rick and Deanna but no Odessa is in sight.

"Rick!" Michonne cries.

"Good. You're safe." Rick looks at them. He's helping Deanna who's injured and extremely pale.

As they rush to get to a house, walkers cut them off. They're trapped. Theo's wide eyes look around. He's not ready to die. Not yet.

Suddenly, three walkers drop. Jessie Anderson is revealed. "Come on! I have Judith!" She yells. They all rush after Jessie and into her home.

Rick, Michonne, and Kathleen rush Deanna into a room upstairs.

Kathleen sits by the older woman's side and holds her hand as Michonne makes a tourniquet for her leg. Rick comes back upstairs after several minutes. "How is she?" He asks the two.

"No offense to Michonne, but whatever she's doing hurts like a son of a bitch." Deanna murmurs.

"I just finished with the leg." Michonne tells her. "And that seems to be the worst of—"

Kathleen's eyes shoot from Rick to Michonne to Deanna's side. She gasps. Her heart drops, her stomach churns. And it's like saying goodbye to her mother all over again.

There's a bite. Right there in Deanna's side. It's not in a spot where they can amputate. Deanna Monroe has no other choice but to die. And her last living son isn't here to say goodbye. So the only comfort Deanna will have until death is her unbiological daughter Kathleen.

Deanna finally sees what the others are staring at. She looks at Rick and then Kathleen. Her lower lip wobbles. "Well... shit."

Kathleen refuses to cry in front of Deanna. Not now. Not when she needs her the most. Deanna has become a lifeline for Kathleen. She's been there since the beginning. She and Reg knew of her past, not even Spencer and Aiden knew of that. And she somehow grew to view those two dumb assholes as brothers.