[ 017 ] spiraling.

FOUND LANDS.

chapter seventeen, spiraling.
[ season five, episode sixteen ]

ODESSA IS INFORMED BY Carol why Rick did what he did. Pete had been hitting Jessie, probably their sons as well. Odessa doesn't blame her father for what he did.

But when she sees him, she calls him an idiot. The two are in the room Rick had been placed in. Rick lays on the mattress on the floor, still unconscious. Odessa's legs are curled into her chest. Michonne sits in a chair in the corner of the room.

"How're you holdin' up, Des?" Michonne looks at her. Odessa shrugs and glances at the woman. She can see the concern in Michonne's eyes.

"Okay, I guess." She tells her. "As good I can. Which isn't very good. I think I might spiral soon. Just a heads up for when it does happen."

They had learned to call Odessa's episodes spiraling. Whether it be a panic attack, which she just started having, or hallucination, or night terrors. It's what they all call spiraling now.

"If you ever want to talk," Michonne doesn't finish her sentence because she knows Odessa understands.

"I know." Odessa nods. They stay quiet for a few minutes until Odessa speaks up again. "We were supposed to be safe here. All of us. We were meant to stay alive because of this place. And now... it's already killed one of us."

Michonne can see the hurt in Odessa's eyes. But she doesn't cry. She cried her tears with Glenn earlier. She doesn't want to cry anymore. So she turns her sadness into anger.

"This place isn't good." She grits out through her teeth. "It's a death sentence. We're on death row because of this place."

She stands and looks at her dad. "You're an idiot. You're a smart man, Dad. You're brave and I love you. But you're a fucking idiot."

Michonne watches her as she leaves.

At Deanna's house, Kathleen stands beside Deanna as Maggie walks onto the porch. "What do you need to talk about, Maggie?" Deanna asks her.

"The meeting tonight," she answers.

"Maggie, if we could talk—" Reg is cut off by his wife.

"I want to talk to everyone about what happened and what we need to do about it." Deanna says.

"If it includes sending Rick away, it's not gonna work." Maggie tells her.

"Tell me what that means." Deanna calmly says. But to Kathleen, she can her the demand in Deanna's voice.

"You let Rick in. You let all of us in. You talked to us. You decided. And now you wanna put that decision on a group of very frightened people who might not have the whole story. That's not leadership." Maggie says her piece.

"Tonight is just a forum. It's just for people to say their piece." Reg states.

"And I'll make my decision as I've done since the beginning." Deanna tells Maggie.

"He was frustrated. The things he's seen. The things he's lost. The things we've all lost." Maggie tries.

"The things you've lost?" Deanna raises an eyebrow. Kathleen doesn't like the way Deanna says it. She loves Deanna as a mother but her words make her shiver.

"We've lost so much more." Maggie says.

"Rick took a gun and pointed it at people." Deanna argues.

"He didn't pull the trigger." Maggie defends her long time friend.