。2 。

♡

WAKING UP the next morning, Dakota got ready for school, pulling on some black jeans and a black vest with a leather jacket over the top. She snatched a piece of toast from her dads plate, realising she was going to be late if she didn't leave then, before rushing out of the door.

When Dakota arrived at school after a short walk, she saw police cars and news vans outside, some cameramen recording the reporters as they spoke. Sidney entered the grounds of the school, Dakota walking up beside her as they heard a reporter, Gale Weathers, speaking.

"The small town of Woodsboro, California, was devastated last night when two young teenagers were found brutally murdered. Authorities have yet to issue a statement, but our sources tell us that no arrest has been made and the murderer could style again." Gale said into the microphone , staring into the camera.

"Do you believe this shit?" Tatum asked, appearing out of no where, making Sidney gasp.

"Tatum, what is going on?" Sidney asked, gesturing around them.

"It looks very dramatic, whatever it is."
Dakota mumbled, eyeing the various police cars.

"You don't know?" Tatum questioned and they shook their heads, starting to walk again. "Casey Becker and Steve Orth were killed last night."

"What? No way." Sidney exclaimed quietly as Dakota raised her eyebrows in shock.

"And we're not just talking killed. We're talking splatter-movie killed." Tatum further explained. "Ripped open from end to end."

"Casey Becker, she sits next to me in English." Sidney stated.

"Not anymore." Tatum hummed. "It's so sad. Her mum and dad, they found her hanging from a tree, her insides on the outside."

"Oh, my God!" Sidney scratched the back of her neck nervously. "Do they know who did it?"

"Fucking clueless. I mean, they're interrogating the entire school." Tatum replied. "Teachers, students, janitors."

"They think it's school-related?" Sidney asked.

"They don't know. I mean, Dewey was saying this is the worst crime they've seen in years." Tatum shrugged. Even worse than-"

"Hey, hey. C'mon." Dakota hissed when she saw Sidney's face fall.

"Well... It's bad." Tatum added and walked past them into the school.

Sharing a glance, Dakota and Sidney started to make their way to English. Casey had always sat next to Sidney, closest to the window while Dakota was the other side of her. But now, there was just an empty seat where the blonde used to sit.

A boy walked in and handed Mrs. Tate a note. The teacher looked towards Sidney who was staring at Casey's chair, "Sidney." The girl looked up. "It would appear to be your turn."

Dakota gave her a small smile as she left, trying to focus back on the work in front of her but finding it mind-numbingly boring. After a while, Sidney came back into the lesson and handed Mrs. Tate a note, taking a seat next to Dakota.

"How was it?" Dakota whispered across to her.

"You're about to find out." Sidney replied, picking up her pen.

"Dakota." Mrs. Tate called making her look up. "It's your turn."

Nodding, Dakota pulled her bag over her shoulder and left the classroom making her way towards the headteachers office where the Sheriff and Dewey were waiting to do the interview. The receptionist directed her in as if she hadn't been at the school for years.

"Dakota, how you feelin'?" The headteacher, Mr. Himbry, asked as she sat down.

"Fine." Dakota replied, smiling at Dewey. "Nice stache, Dewey."

"It's, um, Deputy Riley today." Dewey corrected with a small smile.

She held her hands up in defence with a small smirk, "My sincerest apologies."

"How is everything?" Sheriff Burke asked her, making the girl turn her attention to him.

"Yeah, alright." Dakota responded.

"Your parents?" Burke questioned. "How are they?"

"They're still fighting over who gets the new work car, even though their choices look the same. But fine, thanks." Dakota answered.

"We're gonna keep this very brief, Dakota. The police just want to ask you a few questions. You okay?" Mr. Himbry cupped her jaw.

Dakota grabbed his hand roughly, bending it back a little, "Great, when creepy old men don't touch me."

"Dakota, were you very close to Casey Becker?" Burke asked.

"No, not really. We only spoke a few times in English." Dakota shrugged. "She has her own set of friends. Cheerleaders, jocks and those lot."

The questions continued until Dakota had answered all of them. After, she made her way back to the English classroom, giving a note to Mrs. Tate, telling the next student to go. Dakota made her way back to her seat, plopping her bag on the floor as she picked up her pen.

"Hey, Sid?"

"Yes, I'll help you."

"You're a doll!"

{790}