。5 。

♡

LATER IN the evening, Dakota was making her way to Sidney's. She sped up when she saw police cars heading into her drive. Her eyes widened, seeing Billy being slammed onto the bonnet of a police car, his wrists being handcuffed together.

"Do you wish to give up your right to remain silent?" Dewey asked.

"I didn't do anything." Billy stated.

"Do you wish to give up your right to speak to an attorney and have them present during questioning?" Dewey continued.

"Ask her. She'll tell you." Billy said as he was dragged towards another police car by two officers

"What have you got, Dewey?" Burke inquired.

"I caught him, Sheriff." Dewey said proudly.

"Who is that?" Burke asked.

"Billy Loomis." Dewey answered.

"Sheriff, Sheriff, call these guys off. I don't do it." Billy tried but was dragged away. "Sheriff, wait. Wait. Listen, call my dad. Please, call him. He'll tell you. Call him. Sidney! Sidney!"

"How's she doing?" Burke questioned as Billy was driven away.

"Sid's tougher than she looks." Dewey said.

"She'd have to be, all the shit she's been through." Burke mused.

"Sid!" Billy was still yelling as he got further away.

"Well, we're seein' a lot of you today." Burke said, walking over to Sidney who was in the back of an ambulance.

"Sid, Jesus." Dakota mumbled and rushed towards her, pushing between Dewey and the Sheriff. "You're not hurt are you? What happened?"

"No, I'm not." Sidney replied, giving her a small, forced smile.

"Thank fuck." Dakota mumbled and sat down next to her, bringing her into a side hug that Sidney gladly welcomed, leaning on her shoulder.

"What're you doing here, Dakota?" Dewey asked.

"I was coming round anyway. We were gonna watch a movie with-"

"Oh, shit! Sidney!"

"-Tatum, too." Dakota finished as their blonde friend ran over.

"God, Sid, I'm so sorry I was late. Are you alright?" Tatum worried.

"Tatum, Dakota, neither of you can be here. This is an official crime scene." Dewey told them.

"It's okay." Sidney tried, holding into Dakota's hand tightly.

"Her dad's out of town. She's staying with us tonight." Tatum stated.

"Does Mum know?" Dewey questioned.

"Yes, doofus." Tatum shot back.

"Let's get you outta here." Burke said and Sidney nodded, walking away with Tatum and Dakota to get Sidney in the back of Dewey's car.

Gale Weathers was getting out of her news van, rushing towards Sidney's house, "I'll be damned. Jesus! The camera, hurry!"

"My name isn't Jesus."

"Sidney, is that you in there?" Gale went up to the side of the car but it was already driving away. Gale spotted Tatum and Dakota walking together. "Was that Sidney in there?"

"We're not talking to you." Tatum stated firmly.

"What happened to her?" Gale pushed.

"None of your damn business." Tatum snapped as they got into her car, Gale following them to it.

"I heard something about a costume. Is that true?" Gale knocked on the car window. "Can you tell me anything?"

"Yeah, you're a fuckin annoyance!" Dakota scoffed, Tatum driving away afterwards.

"Leave Sid alone!" Tatum called.

The pair went to the police station where Sidney was being taken. As they walked in, they passed Billy who was calling after Sidney, the girl refusing to look at him as she sat at Dewey's desk. They moved over to Sidney.

"Sid, we're gonna get you out of here, okay?" Tatum assured, rubbing her shoulder.

"You okay?" Dakota asked softly as Sidney sniffled, giving them a small nod to answer.

"Hey, Dewey, can we go now?" Tatum tried, standing at Sidney's side.

"Hold on a second." Dewey mumbled, looking back to Burke.

"God damn it, Dewey!" Tatum snapped.

"What did Mama tell you? When I'm wearing this badge, you treat me like a man of the law." Dewey shot back.

"I'm sorry, Deputy Dewey-boy, but we're ready to go." Tatum continued. "Now, okay?"

A man laughed as Tatum slapped Dewey's cap into his chest, Dakota holding Sidney close with her arm over her shoulder, Sidney not seeming to mind as she leant into her.

"Take 'em out the back way. Avoid that circus out there." Burke told Dewey.

"Come on." Dewey tried leading Tatum out.

"Don't touch me!" Tatum exclaimed quietly.

"He's my superior." Dewey hissed.

"The janitor is your superior." Tatum scoffed and Dakota smiled in amusement at the siblings.

"Are you coming to Tatum's?" Sidney asked, glancing at Dakota.

Dakota smiled and nodded, "Yeah, I am. We spoke in the car here."

"Okay, good." Sidney nodded, looking back ahead of them.

Dewey opened the back door, "You guys stay here, I'll get the car. Don't move. Don't make a sound."

"That makes me wanna do both of those things." Dakota mumbled.

"There she is. Sidney!" Gale called, walking around the corner, camera following after her.

"She looks like a key-lime pie." Dakota rolled her eyes.

"Hi, that's some night. What happened? Are you alright?" Gale pushed, shoving the microphone into Sidney's face.

"She's not answering any questions, alright. Just leave us alone." Tatum ordered.

"No, Tatum, it's okay." Sidney stepped forwards. "She's just doin' her job, right, Gale?"

"Yes, that's right." Gale grinned, proud and cocky of herself.

"So, how's the book?" Sidney asked.

"Well, it'll be out later this year." Gale replied.

"Oh, I'll look for it." Sidney stated before going to turn around.

"I'll send you a copy." Gale called and Sidney spam around, socking her in the jaw making Dakota laugh as Gale fell into her cameraman.

"Bitch." Gale mumbled.

"Where'd you learn to punch like that?" Dewey asked Sidney as he lead the group to his car.

"I've never been so happy!" Dakota exclaimed, grinning.

{950}