。22 。

♡

"NOW SHROUDED in the deal they smoke of ruin, her royal children pitched from her walls, her people driven through her ruins." was the chanting that Dakota heard as she crept into the college theatre.

On the stage, a large group of people wearing brown cloaks and wraps with masks covering their faces surrounded a crouched figure on the stage. Smoke floating across the stage, giving the scene a darker, gloomier feel. Smiling, Dakota sat down in a seat at the back, spreading her arm across the back of the neighbouring chair comfortably.

"And now alone in fate's cruel isolation, stand Cassandra!" The masked people boomed as the crouched figure stood up to her full height.

Sidney pulled off the red, translucent vale over her head, eyes and lips decorated with makeup. Gold earrings matched the specks of gold weaved into the plaited hairstyle that had been created. Her face was void of emotion to fit her character, arms holding the red tinted cloth above her head. Her dress was a deep crimson made from a baggy material, a silvery ribbon around the waist. False wind blew the vale around her arms and over her head as the masked people continued their lines.

Fake thunder clapped and Sidney began her lines, not noticing the woman staring at her in the corner, "No crime against gods or man have I committed, smith to speak the truth."

The vale wrapped back around the top of her head, falling over her shoulders gracefully as everyone, including Sidney, spoke the next part, "And each hideous vision born from my mind, has come to pass!"

"Troy has fallen," Sidney said, alone, the vale now wafting around her back, "not by my hand or wish, but as I foresaw." Thunder clapped again and a golden man was lowered to the stage, a gold mask covering his face. "So now, fate's vengeful eye... is fixed," the man pointed to her, "on me."

As bright lights indicated lightning and thunder boomed again, the masked crowd turned to Sidney's character in unison, "Tell us, O Cassandra, where has the sweetness of life gone?"

A masked person ran at her and she pretended to flinch. Suddenly, she was dancing in their arms, twisting and twirling between the crowd. Dakota grinned, admiring Sidney, the adoration in her eyes following her across the stage.

However, as Sidney got to the other end of the stage, she looked back at the crowd of masked people and her face turned from false fear to real. She was tugged back into the crowd, twisted and span between them all. False panic turned to real panic as one of the masked pretended to stab her. Knives were pulled out by all of them, chopping and slicing at the air.

Dakota's smile disappeared when Sidney screamed what sounded to be violently real and fell to her knees on the stage in fright. The man that had scared her pulled the mask from his face and Sidney realised it wasn't the ghost face mask, just one the similar to all the others worn in the play.

"Alright, hold it! Hold it!" The director called, rushing down the aisle between the seats while Sidney looked around fearfully. Others took their masks off, revealing their real faces and the fact they were no threat. "Everyone take 5."

Sidney slowly stood up with everyone looking at her, sharing glances. Tears welled in her eyes and she sniffled, running to the side door on the stage. She shoved it open and ran through it, Dakota getting up from her seat to follow her behind stage.

"Sid?" Dakota called softly, walking through the doors.

Sidney wiped at her cheeks hurriedly before facing her, "When did you get here?"

"Just caught the end of it. What happened?" Dakota asked, walking towards her.

"Nothing, nothing, I'm fine." Sidney lied, swallowing tears.

"You're not fine, love, what happened?" Dakota repeated gently, placing her hands on Sidney's cheeks, wiping away a tear that fell with her thumb.

Sidney launched forwards and hugged her tightly, burying her face into her jacket. Her eyes squeezed shut tightly as Dakota hugged her waist back, lips pressing comfortingly to her temple. She let out a shuddering breath, fingers digging into her jacket.

"It was the masks." Sidney whispered. "I thought he was there in the crowd when I was spinning. And I was being passed around by them all, couldn't get my head straight. Then- then I saw him pull a knife out so I-I ran but he was there again, with the knife still. He was gonna stab me. He's still going to, he's back and he's gonna kill me."

Sidney started to breath heavily, crying in Dakota's shoulder in a flustered panic, desperately clutching onto her. Dakota whispered softly to her, rubbing her back to try and help her calm down. She told Sidney to follow her breaths, pulling back from her hug to hold her shoulders, giving her more space to breath.

Following Dakota's breathing pattern, Sidney slowly calmed down, body shaking with adrenaline fuelled by fear. Her painted nails dug into Dakota's t-shirt, her hands holding her a little closer by her waist. She didn't know if she wanted Dakota closer or further away. Everything felt so confusing.

"How're you so okay with this?" Sidney asked shakily.

"Want me to be honest?" Dakota raised an eyebrow and Sidney nodded firmly. "I'm fucking terrified. Someone walked past me in the hallway the other day in black jeans and a black hoodie, nearly punched them out of habit. I think he's under my bed, I think he's in my class, I even think he's my fucking teacher. I'm absolutely shitting myself, Sid, all the time."

"What do we do?" Sidney questioned, eyes still shining with tears.

"I'd suggest we never go far away from each other, or go in groups of three or four or something." Dakota shrugged. "I don't really have much of a plan, I've only experienced this once."

"Only." Sidney repeated with a joking scoff, wiping at her cheeks forcefully as Dakota breathed a short laugh. "What if he kills us this time?"

Dakota swallowed nervously, stroking Sidney's cheek with her thumb affectionately, "He probably won't. But if he does, we'll haunt the shit out of the bitch."

Sidney chuckled, tears slowly subsiding as she nodded, kissing Dakota quickly before pulling her into another hug. Dakota's eyes squeezed shut and her arms held Sidney close by her waist, heart pounding at the thought of the murder killing them or their friends.

Footsteps suddenly sounded and the two separated to see Derek striding in, "Sid, your escort has arrived."

"Derek, how long have you been here?" Sidney asked, taking a subtle glance at Dakota.

"i just got here. Is everything okay? What's going on?" Derek asked, looking between them.

"What happened to Mickey?" Sidney inquired.

"We swapped. He had to edit. You get me instead. What happened?" Derek asked again.

He reached for Sidney but she pulled back, stepping closer to Dakota as tears filled her eyes again and her throat felt thick, "Derek, don't. Don't. I- I just need to be alone right now, okay?"

"Being alone is not the answer, Sid." Derek muttered.

"Yeah, well, I think it is." Sidney stated. "I need some distance."

"Well, do I get a say in this?" Derek asked.

Sidney shook her head, whispering, "No."

Derek paused, blinking a few times, "I guess I'm supposed to be... understanding."

"Yeah." Sidney nodded, sniffling.

"You got it." Derek complied and left.

Sidney sighed, eyes flittering up to Dakota who nodded with a soft smile, "I'll leave you alone, but I won't go too far."

"Okay." Sidney sniffled, watching as she left.

{1293}

i'm incredibly sorry again for my lateness