13

"Seek what sets your soul on fire."
____________________________________________________

Alivia watched as Beth waltzed into the Hill's residence and slumped down on the sofa next to her, exhaling dramatically. "We shouldn't do it."

"What do you mean we shouldn't do it?" Annie questioned with furrowed brows.

"I mean," Beth began with another sigh. "We shouldn't clean a bunch of counterfeit money when the FBI is on our trail."

"Oh, come on!" Annie exclaimed in annoyance.

"Can you keep it down please?" Ruby hissed.

Alivia leaned forward, "how are they on our trail?"

Beth's eyes widened in disbelief, "he was in my kitchen!"

"And Stan is in my bedroom!" Ruby tried again, hoping her friends would lower their voices.

"That doesn't mean they know something," Alivia shrugged, leaning back again.

"He gave his card to me and not Dean," the strawberry blonde pressed on.

"Well, maybe he didn't know if Dean could read," Annie suggested with a shrug, causing her sister to glare at her. "Look, I've got fancy lawyer bills coming out the wazoo, dawg!"

Annie began, raising her voice again. "I talked to her for fifteen minutes and it cost me eight hundred dollars!"

"You know how much a criminal lawyer costs?" Beth shot back.

"Usually one fifty to seven hundred an hour, depending on the lawyer and the crime-" Alivia stopped her sentence as she noticed the three women staring at her incredulously.

Annie broke their trance, "I need this payday, we didn't get the last one."

"We all need it," Ruby muttered.

"But let's not be stupid about it."

"What's stupid is if we screw this up," Annie told her sister. "Because gang friend is not going to give us another shot."

"Gang friend?" Alivia mumbled in distaste.

Annie ignored her and continued, "it's probably just some teenagers who stole an Xbox or something. I promise you, it was nothing."

"It was not nothing! It was the FBI!" Beth exclaimed.

"Okay, so it was two Xboxes." Annie shrugged.

"Besides," Alivia cut in before Beth could yell at her sister. "I already got a bag, you want me to just give it back?"

"Yes! We'll just explain-"

"Freeze, ladies." A deep voice spoke from behind them, causing them to jump in their seats. Stan chuckled at their expression, "Look at you, y'all good?"

"Look at you!" Alivia cut in, motioning towards his uniform.

"First day as an officer in training," he began with a large grin plastered across his face. "Now tell me, would you pull over if you saw all this coming at you in the rearview?"

"Oh, I'd pay the ticket on the spot," Beth said with a convincing smile.

"I mean, I'd run, but you'd probably catch me in five seconds," Annie added.

"I would just hit the brakes and hope for the best," Alivia grinned.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Stan said, shaking his head. He turned to his wife, "Getting real now, huh?"

"Oh, yeah," Ruby breathed. "Realer by the minute."