08

"And I was in the darkness,
so darkness I became."
____________________________________________________

"Well, that was fun," Alivia said sarcastically while drumming her fingers against the steering wheel, breaking the silence.

Annie glared at her from the passenger's seat, "You shot a man."

"Mhm," she mumbled and pursed her lips, keeping her expression blank. She kept her eyes focused on the border upfront, "he'll be fine."

"What the fuck, Alivia?" Beth suddenly exclaimed from the back, causing everyone to raise their brows at her language. "Fine? You shot him. In the balls."

"That man will never be fine again," Ruby muttered with wide eyes.

Alivia bit the inside of her cheek as she racked through her foggy mind for an excuse, "you said the gun wasn't loaded. How was I supposed to know there was a bullet left in the chamber?"

The vehicle was left in silence once again as they approached the booth. Alivia grabbed their passports from Annie's outstretched hand and rolled the window down. She smiled at the woman as she scanned through their documents.

"Quick trip," the woman eventually said.

Alivia smiled and nodded, "Yeah, just a little shopping."

"Have all the receipts for your purchases?" The woman's eyes kept glancing behind her and Alivia had to fight the urge to roll her eyes, knowing Annie was looking suspiciously nervous.

She narrowed her eyes at Annie as she turned to grab the correct papers from her, handing them over, "That should be everything."

The woman nodded as she finished checking the paper, "Everything looks in order, you can pull on over to lane three."

Beth peeked her head through the seats, "is that the express lane?"

"Search and seizure, need to verify your purchases, and then you're good to go."

"Thank you," Alivia said before closing the window and making her way over to the correct lane. She glanced at the other three women, "Can we all please keep in together?"

"We're so screwed," Annie said anxiously.

"Great," Alivia groaned.

She parked the car where the customs police instructed her to and they exited the vehicle. Annie's face twisted into a nervous expression as they stepped aside and let the two men open the trunk and search through the boxes.

"Hi, little baby!" Annie said in a high-pitched voice as another man walked past, a dog by his side.

"Miss, do not engage the dog," he said firmly and approached the boxes, letting the dog take its time checking them for anything illegal.

"Annie, please stop hyperventilating," Alivia muttered under her breath but Annie wasn't paying attention, her eyes locked on the dog.

The men finally closed the boxes and shut the trunk, making their way over to them, "have a safe trip home, thank you for your patience."

"Thank you, sir," Alivia managed to let out before they all hurried into the car and drove off.

In the middle of the drive back, Annie swiftly unbuckled her seatbelt and flung herself into the backseat, reaching into the back and into one of the boxes. She rummaged through it frantically, "I don't see anything."

"Is that wrapping paper?" Beth wondered incredulously as Annie grabbed one of the rolls and sat back down in front.

"There is no way in hell we came all the way here for some wrapping paper," Ruby narrowed her eyes.

"Check inside," Alivia suggested and Annie ripped up the plastic, rolling the paper out.

"Oh. My. God." Annie breathed out, a huge grin appearing on her face.

They all looked up at the door with furrowed brows. Alivia pursed her lips and nodded her head. "Why do I feel like we're in the first five minutes of a Supernatural episode?"

"Are we supposed to knock or something?" Beth asked confused. Just as she'd finished her question the door rattled and began to open.

Alivia slowly drove the car inside and before the women even had the chance to exit, several men opened the trunk and unloaded the boxes of counterfeit money.

"Holy shit," Annie muttered as she glanced around the room and at all the people, but mostly at all the money.

Alivia inhaled deeply as she spotted him and slowly made her way closer. She watched and waited patiently for him to finish his conversation with a man foreign to her.

He finally turned his attention to her, the usual flirtatious smirk on his face., "You made it."

"Didn't think we would?" Her brow raised. He shook his head lightly and his smile grew, "So, we good?"

"Yeah, we're good," he nodded. He stepped closer to her and she could feel his breath on her skin again as he whispered, "See you around?"

"Definitely," she managed to whisper, biting the inside of her cheek to keep from smiling as she turned back to her friends.