09

"You make me feel."
____________________________________________________

"Finally!" Annie exhaled as Alivia ascended the stairs in Beth's home, coming face to face with the three women. "Took you long enough."

Alivia rolled her eyes at the comment and took a sip from her takeaway mug, "What're we panicking about this morning then?"

They stepped back and Alivia peeked her head inside the girls' bedroom.

She pursed her lips at the sight of a strange man lying on one of the beds, out cold, tattooed, and bloodied. "Cute, who is he?"

Beth shrugged with eyes wide and brows raised, "I came back from the grocery store and he was just here."

"I'm assuming he's, like, an associate of the gangbanger," Annie thought out loud and Alivia froze for a moment as it clicked in her mind. "I thought we were done with that, though?"

"Yeah, what the hell?" Ruby muttered confused.

Alivia downed the rest of her coffee and tried to avoid the suspicious looks she was receiving. Annie raised her brows and when she didn't get an answer to her silent question, she snapped her fingers in annoyance. "Spit it out already!"

"You're gonna wake him up," Beth spat under her breath and shushed her sister.

Alivia closed her eyes for a second and sighed, "When he said see you around, I did not think this would be the outcome."

The silence following pressed violently against her ears and all she could do was wait for them to process the information.

"Well, you clearly weren't thinking at all if you willingly agreed to meet with him!" Ruby's voice was low and getting angrier with each word.

"Oh, she was, just not with her brain," Annie added, her brows raising for a second.

Alivia's face furrowed and she groaned, "gross."

"Okay, so what, you volunteered us to do more jobs for him?" Beth interjected.

"You can't just sign people up for criminal activity like it's a bake sale!" Ruby literally hissed.

"I just agreed to see him, that's it!" Alivia sighed and continued cautiously, "It's not like we don't need the money, though."

They all groaned but kept quiet, knowing she had a point.

How do we get him out of my house?" Beth eventually said, the stress visible on her face again. "He's bleeding all over my daughter's bed."

"What are we even supposed to do with him?"

"Why don't you call your BFF, the other gangbanger, and ask him?" Annie snapped at her friend.

Alivia groaned at the word, "Can we please stop calling him that?"

"We don't know his name, so what are we supposed to call him?" Annie spat and waved her arms out in annoyance.

"I bet he knows," Alivia muttered and pushed past her friends, walking over to the unconscious man. She carefully felt his jeans pockets for a phone but came across something else first. She turned around and handed the gun over to Beth who was standing closest to her, "put it on the dresser."

"You are way too comfortable with this," Beth said as she pulled the sleeves of her shirt over her hands and grabbed the gun.

"Okay, got it," Alivia informed a moment later and backed away from the bed. Annie snatched the phone from her hand and began feverishly scrolling through his recent calls.

"What's the last number he called?" Ruby wondered.

"Papa John's."

Alivia narrowed her eyes, "the last person, dumbass."

"Uh, mom, mom, mom," Annie began and didn't stop until the tenth call to his mother, then, "and Rio."

"So, do we just call him or?" Ruby asked uncertainly. 

Annie handed the phone back to Alivia, "Call him, put it on speaker."

"Why me?" Her brows furrowed.

"Because he's ya boy;" Alivia rolled her eyes at the attitude but pressed his name on the display and put it on speaker.

"Yo," his low voice broke the silence.

Alivia pushed down the lump forming in her throat, "You usually leave unconscious half-naked men in people's homes?"

He laughed, "Nah, just yours."

"This is not what I thought you meant."

"No?" He let out softly, "Disappointed?"

Alivia pursed her lips and bit the inside of her cheeks to keep herself from smiling, while Annie's expression turned into one of disgust and she moved her hand back and forth, silently telling her to get to the point. Alivia cleared her throat lightly, "what are we supposed to do with him?"

"Keep an eye on him."

"He's bleeding all over my daughter's bed!" Beth exclaimed suddenly, "We aren't qualified to take care of a gunshot victim, he needs professional medical attention!"

He sighed loudly, "Nah, that kid ain't going to no hospital."

"Why not?" Ruby asked, confused.

"Cause there are people looking for him."

"What if those people show up here?" Beth's voice was higher than before.

He laughed again, "Trust me, ain't nobody gonna shoot up Beaver Cleaver's house."

"I have children! This will not-" Alivia held up her hand, stopping Beth from finishing her sentence, not wanting him to get agitated.

"I'll keep an eye on him," Alivia told him.

"Cool, it'll be worth it," he swiftly said before hanging up the phone.

"It better be," Annie muttered.