24

"YOU FEEL LIKE HOME."
____________________________________________________

Alivia leaned back against the passenger seat and exhaled loudly, eyes still glued to the warehouse before them, as dark and dreary as the one they'd gone to after Canada.

Every cell in her body knew what was waiting for her inside.

"You know why you have to do this."

"Yeah, I know." Her voice was low and soft, just as his had been.

"Come on." She exited the car and followed him up the small stairs to the dock and over to the metal door on the side. The sound of it scraping the ground as he led her inside, one hand on her lower back, pierced her ears.

The inside was just as dark and dreary. The fluorescent lights barely cast any shadows, some of them blinking eerily, most of them broken.

She recognized the three men in front of her, two on either side of the chair the third man was tied to, hair clinging to his red and bruised face. The only face she had a name for.

"I know you," Eddie muttered, looking at her through dark and thick lashes. He chuckled, "I held a gun to your face."

"Yeah, you did." Her voice was still soft and to her surprise calm with no trace of the anxiety clawing at her chest.

"I suppose it's only fair for you to do the same." He laughed darkly.

"None of this is fair." She sighed and her eyes snapped to the man on her right as he raised an arm toward her. She bit the inside of her cheek as she reached for his hand and the gun he held, gripping it firmly.

Her eyes left Eddie's after a long moment of silence and glanced behind her as if waiting for him to give her the okay. The okay to end someone's life.

But he simply kept his eyes on her, no expression occupying his face.

She breathed in deeply and as she exhaled she lifted her arm up and pulled the trigger, hitting Eddie right in the chest.

"I'm keeping this." She forced out while turning the safety on and placing the gun in her waistband. She turned without another word and exited the building, taking a seat at the edge of the dock and breathing in the fresh cold air.

She broke out of her trance as a yellow truck pulled up and a very angry-looking Beth exited, shutting the door behind her harshly. Her eyes narrowed as she noticed Alivia.

"Of course, you're here." She spat. "You knew, didn't you?"

"I knew you were given a job." Alivia simply stated with a shrug.

"Don't bullshit me!" The door to the warehouse creaked open and Beth's attention turned to the man leaving the building. "I just got pulled over!"

"So?"

"So, I barely talked myself out of being arrested!"

"For driving an empty truck?" He'd walked down the stairs and was now standing a few feet from her, hands in pockets and head slightly tilted.

"Why didn't you do it yourself? Why did you need us to bring you an empty truck?" Her voice reminded Alivia of a toddler throwing a tantrum.

He shrugged. "I had a kid. The Feds turned him."

Beth glowered at him. "So this is a test?"

"Needed to know if he talked." He gave a quick glance behind him. "I guess he didn't."

"And now we're back in business."

"You're catching on. Give me the keys."

"If you think you can use me like a worm on a hook so you don't get caught-"

"I ain't got the time to hold your hand through this." He cut her off harshly, his voice hardening. "Give me the keys."

Alivia's lips parted slightly in surprise as she watched Beth throw the keys to the truck at Rio, hitting him in the face. She dropped down from the dock and walked over to them.

"What me and you had is done. Go home." He told her coldly before turning to glance at Alivia and motioning toward the car.

"You can't fire us! We need the money!" Beth yelled out after them.

"And I need more of your bitch-ass drama like I need a hole in my head." The car door let out a loud thud as he closed it behind him.

"What did he mean by he had a kid? What happened to him?" Beth questioned as Alivia opened the passenger door.

She glanced down at him, then back at Beth, and told her, "I handled it."

"