candidacy

October 2021

Val's POV

I feign yet another smile to the webcamera of my laptop, bidding goodbye to my coworkers. I've already had 3 back-to-back meetings today, and it's not even lunch time. I sigh as I press my eyelids together, hoping for even a few minutes of serenity.

I heard a squeal come from the living room. Thanks universe. I say as I silently curse under my breath for the chaos that is today.

"ALLY!! ALLY!!" My mom shouts for me, excitement evident in her voice.

"Mom? Why? Did something happen ba?" I ask confused.

"Tignan mo dali! Leni just announced her candidacy!" she says, pointing at the tv. Surely enough, there it was, showing the Vice President, donned in a blue blouse with a pink ribbon, announcing her presidential bid for the 2022 elections.

"Lalaban ako. Lalaban tayo. Inihahain ko ang aking sarili—" the crowd erupted in cheers, echoing through the four walls of the screen, full of hope and assurance of a better tomorrow.

I listened silently to the rest of the speech side by side with my mother, whose smile grew impossibly bigger as the minutes passed. I saw tears suddenly forming in her eyes, as she became overwhelmed by her own emotions.

"Mom, you okay?"

"We will be now anak. We will be now." she smiled sweetly at me, and reached for my hands to squeeze it in assurance.

"Diba kaibigan mo yung panganay niya? Thank her for me, will you? Ano ulit pangalan niya? Jessa? Jessie?" she shakes her head in thought.

"Jessica Marie, mom. Si Aika." I flashed a bittersweet smile at her, assuring her that I will, not having the heart to tell her that I haven't contacted the woman in years.

I excused myself to my room, telling her I have a meeting to prepare for. She lets me go and I can already hear her talking about her plans on attending the upcoming rallies.

Exhausted and overwhelmed by my emotions, I sit down with a grunt on my chair, trying to process everything.

I was elated, because after all, we finally had the most qualified person running for the presidency. There was hope yet.

Then my thoughts went to her. What would she be feeling right now? Masaya kaya siya? Or is she having her own dilemma?

I shaked those thoughts off and turned back to my laptop, gearing up for the onslaught of meetings I was supposedly going to have. But to my pleasant surprise, I was only greeted by postponed meetings, (except for a few urgent ones with possible investors) everyone on a high with the recent news.

I laid down on my bed, deciding on resting for a little while before going back to work. I opened up my twitter and my feed was filled with articles and hashtags in support of the VP.

I clicked on a live feed, showing the VP as she walked into Sofitel, accompanied by — oh. She was accompanied by her daughters, Tricia and Aika. Aika.

I suck in a shallow breath, wanting to exit the stream but instead found myself entranced by the eldest daughter. You always did have that effect on me.

Beautiful as ever.

The door creaked open, Agos, my younger brother, peeking through, telling me that lunch is served. I jumped slightly, accidentally letting go of my phone and feeling like I was caught doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing.