past, present, and future

Val's POV

"Ang layo naman kasi ng tingin. Even when I'm right here."

I expected to be greeted by a bone-crushing hug, or a 'hi' or even just a smile my way.

What I didn't expect was to be hit on my stomach by the woman in front of me.

Kahit hindi malakas ang hampas niya, medyo masakit ah.

To onlookers and bystanders, we would probably look a little crazy, just a woman hitting another in the middle of a park, while the former's family simply watched in amusement.

I look at her in confusion, hand on my stomach where she had hit it. She crossed her arms, huffing at me.

"Ganto na ba kiligin ngayon? May kasamang hinanakit?"

"Ikaw nahulog sa 34-year old, kasalanan mo na yan." Tricia said, earning her a glare from her older sister as she hid behind their youngest.

Tita gave me a warm smile and a hug, before rolling her eyes at her daughters who had started bickering. She chastised them, and they immediately followed, sheepishly bowing their heads in apology.

Following the Robredos to the States wasn't initially on my agenda, but it was Tita that convinced me to come. At first, I insisted, saying that they should be allowed the time together as a family, especially after the rigorous months (and years) prior to the trip.

But, Tita being Tita, she insisted I should follow, because according to her, matagal ka na naming kapamilya rin, Alona.

She even went on to add, Sakto rin, it's marking 4 years since your graduation in Harvard. It's a cause for celebration, anak.

And who am I to say no to one Maria Leonor Robredo?

Marupok sa anak, pero tiklop parin sa ina.

We're now at a restaurant downtown, one that Aika and I used to frequent as students.

Chatter went on around the table while waiting for our food, stories and anecdotes shared by each Robredo.

Aika and I were sat beside each other, and while Tricia recounted a blooper she had during Jillian's graduation, I felt her hand come up to my knee, gently squeezing it to get my attention.

I hummed at her in question, turning to face her.

"I'm glad you're here." she said, flashing her usual bright smile at me.

"Me too." She removed her hand from my knee, taking my hands in hers instead, playing with it under the table.

"Grumaduate rin naman ako sa US, bat wala parin akong bebe?"

We hadn't realized that silence had fallen over the table, the conversation between the three women having ended moments before.

"Hintay ka rin 4 years." Aika said, making the others chuckle, even Tita Leni, who at least had the decency to cover her mouth.

I rolled my eyes at the woman beside me, ready to make a quip when Doc Tricia beat me to it.

"So inaamin mo na te? Magbebe na nga kayo?" she said, a smirk in her lips as she teased us.

"Tama, tapos na naman elections." Jillian added, wiggling her eyebrows.

I simply turned to the woman in question, waiting for her answer, unfazed (na may kasamang konting kilig, konti lang naman) with her sisters at their occassional teasing.

The waiter serves our food before she gets the chance to respond, the food effectively distracting her sisters from their teasing.

After lunch, the Robredos and I walked around the parks, letting our feet wander and take us anywhere they could.