mata sa mata

Val's POV

It's been 2 weeks since the night that I got drunk, and I've been constantly wrecking my brain to remember the events of that night, but still to no avail. 

All I had was a vague dream of someone kissing my forehead, and a sweet voice bidding me good night, but that's probably just all the alcohol talking, right?

It didn't help that Gracie's been teasing me about it since we came back to work the week after. And surprise, surprise, it looks like she's gotten Laura in on the tea too.

No matter how much I pester them though, they wouldn't budge, instead resorting to giving teasing looks and comments whenever Aika dropped by, picked me up for lunch, or when we see each other in passing at rallies.

The lunches have become regular too. Almost a weekly routine where we find a time in the week to squeeze in a little meal together, talking about anything and everything under the weather. It gave us a sense of normalcy and familiarity we don't get to have on other days.  It definitely didn't help my ever growing feelings for the woman though.

Today was a new day, and Laura and I were headed to the volunteer HQ in the city, gearing up for the H2H campaigns of the day.

As we got in the busy HQ, we greeted the other volunteers that were already there, even getting some free coffee from one of them. We were told that the briefing was to start soon, as we were only waiting on the eldest Robredo sister's arrival. For the meantime, the air was filled with chatter and stories, some talking about other anecdotes from previous h2h they've attended. 

Admittedly, house-to-house campaigns were some of my favorite although also more stressful moments of the campaign season. mata sa mata, puso sa puso, tao sa tao. 

While rallies and sorties really bring up the energy and the people together, house-to-house lets us connect with the people we're talking with on a personal level, not just through a microphone on stage. We've heard and encountered various kinds of people, both supporters of TroPa and supporters of other candidates, all with their own stories to share. Truthfully, more than a few tears have been shed, but there have also been times where 'radikal ang magmahal' proves to be easier said than done.

"Balita ko yung isa daw dito, kinarga pauwi." one of the volunteers said. I hadn't noticed that all eyes were now on me, too occupied in my own thoughts. I pointed at myself, then looked at Lara in a silent plea of help.

"Oo nga yung 'best friend' lang daw pero kinarga pa-bridal style ng isang Robredo sister papunta sa kotse niya?"  My eyes widened at this, not knowing where these accusations were coming from. I glanced at Laura, asking for some kind of confirmation, but she was trying to stifle her own laugh. 

"Akala ko ba kabila lang nagpapakalat ng fake news? Ba't pati dito meron na?" they chuckled at that, but still looked at me with amused and teasing stares.

"Ate Ally, wag ka na pakipot diyan, may witnesses kami no. Kami pang mga anak ng isang resibo queen?" sabi naman nung isa pang volunteer sa likod, to the cheers and agreement of the rest of the group.

'puta is that really true' napaisip tuloy ako, earth swallow me whole na lang please if it is.

"Ang iissue niyo noh." 

"Sinong ma-issue?" the voice announced the arrival of Aika Robredo, clad in her usual campaign polo shirt and black pants. bading ikalma mo puso mo. It was her normal attire all throughout the campaign period, but as the simp that I am, I can't help but fall for her harder each time, especially when she flashes that gummy smile of hers my way.