had me at hello

2017-2018

Aika's POV

I spun the pen in my hand, a habit I've picked up over the years of trained note-taking (aka Mama's nagging)

The lecture had been ongoing for about 45 minutes now, when the lecturer had sent us into a 15 minute break, excusing herself for awhile.

I was looking over my notes, when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hi. Sorry to bother you, but could I know who's class this is?"

I looked over my shoulder, facing the person who called for my attention.

"Oh, it's Prof. Davis' class." I said, a hint of confusion in my voice.

"Davis? As in D-A-V-I-S?" I hummed the affirmative, nodding along to get the point across.

She closes her eyes, sighing dejectedly, and palming her face.

"Well that's unfortunate. Thank you though, Ms?"

"Aika."

"Aika." she repeats after me, a smile plastered on her lips. A smile graces mine as well, matching the one on her face.

She clears her throat, thanking me once more, and moves to settle back to her seat. But before I know it, I open my mouth to say something.

"Is there something bothering you? Maybe I could help?"

A look of surprise passes her, as her mouth opens and closes, trying to find the right words.

Cute.

"It's a little embarrassing." she says, scratching the back of her neck as she did.

"Then even better." I say, with a wide grin on my face, as she scoffs at me, and feigns offence at my quip.

"And just for that, I'm not telling."

"I was kidding! I sincerely want to help, Ms." I look down to her nameplate, that was unfortunately covered by her jacket, but part of it could still be seen.

"Val...?" She looked at me curiously, realizing what I was looking at.

"Valle. Alona Eloise Valle."

Pretty... name. Pretty name.

My eyes continue to trail further down the nameplate, and another realization comes.

"Pilipino ka pala?"

"Ah, oo. Pinoy ka rin pala. It's nice to see another Filipino dito."

Our conversation gets sidetracked after that, as she takes the seat beside mine and we begin to converse about our homesickness.

"Teka, teka, na-offtopic na pala tayo. You were bothered with something diba?" her eyes widened slightly, like she had forgotten that fact as well.

She let out a low disgruntled groan upon  remembering what had been bothering her. "Right, so the thing is... I might have walked into the wrong class."

"I enrolled for Professor Davies class, not Prof. Davis." she said, head in her hands.

I unintentionally let out a low chuckle at that, and she scoffs at me for a second time.

"Makatawa ka ah."

"Pasensiya na. It is a little funny, no?"

"No it isn't. I'm screwed."