little boxes

Aika's POV

In the first few weeks following our graduation, I silently hoped that she would reach out.

But weeks turned into months, and the constant presence she used to have around me dwindled, leaving only remnants of the memories we made in her wake. 

Memorabilia of our time together was kept inside a box I had found, including the picture and letter left unread she had given the night we unknowingly parted ways.

Life kept moving on, and so did I, so I shoved whatever feelings I had into little boxes, putting one foot in front of the other, and the mystery of our past, behind me.

Months turned into a year, and without realizing it, life without the constant presence of one Alona Eloise became much more bearable.

There were days when I'd miss her presence, especially after a long day at work, wanting nothing more than to sit beside her on the couch, cups of tea in our hands, contently sitting in silence while watching tv.

I missed the simplicity of us, the easy domesticity we shared, and the warmth she made me feel.

As a result, I dived head-first into work and personal travels, and as the years passed, the little boxes were shoved deeper, out of sight, and out of mind, allowing a sense of faux peace in my Val-riddled mind.

Four years later, she resurfaced, and the little boxes started fighting their way back up.

After the rally in Naga, she easily slipped back into my life, like a seat was reserved solely for her.

And just as easily as she came back, so did the little boxes resurface, taking old and unexplored feelings with them.

I know that it was much easier to resent her. To scream, be angry, petty, and bitter.

But that wasn't how I was brought up.

I was told that everything happens for a reason. That things would fall into place as they should, that things would make sense in the end.

And it was the same for us. At least I hoped as much.

——————–––————

I had come home late the day before from another day full of sorties and engagements from far-flung cities and provinces. The only sleep I got was from the car ride home, having to pack up my stuff for another assignment as soon as I got home. 

I could sympathize with the other volunteers, who worked twice as hard as all of us, having to keep track of itineraries, and organize schedules for our teams. We were on the road non-stop, moving one city from another in a matter of hours, trying to reach out and connect with people normally overlooked by the government. But despite the restlessness, at the end of the day was fulfillment. 

I boarded the van, greeting the driver and two people from my team, taking my seat by the window. 

"Ma'am, daan lang po tayo HQ, andoon po yung ibang volunteers na sasabay sa'tin." The driver informed me, and we went on our way. The drive was relatively quiet, each person either revising the day's itinerary, communicating with other volunteer groups, or taking the time to get some rest in. I was going over the speech I was to give in the different locations when we reached the HQ.

Val, Laura, and Gracie boarded the van, greeting everyone sleepily as they did. I gave them each a warm smile in return.

The three volunteers handed out bread and water to each person present, which they accepted graciously. Afterwards, they took to their own seats, Laura and Gracie at the back, and Val beside me.