in the dark

May 2018

Val's POV

It was a week before graduation, and my classmates and I figured to spend our remaining days in Cambridge (without our parents) by going to the bar.

We picked the one with a walking distance from the dormitories and nearby apartments, none of us wanting to drive back or spend money on a taxi fare that could further sink us into debt.

I was in my own apartment, waiting for Aika who had told me she'd pick me up before heading to the bar, so that we could go together.

I was in front of the mirror, panicking over whether or not my outfit was enough for the night. My friend, Matty, who I was on the phone with, groaned in frustration as I tried on what felt like the millionth dress of the night.

"Alona, you look amazing in each one, please just pick a dress because she'll be there in a few minutes, and if you don't, she might just catch you in your undies."

I glare at him through the phone, even though I knew he made sense. I settled for a floral dress that reached just above my knees, pairing it with a leather jacket.

"I just want to look good okay? If I plan to actually confess tonight, then that means that when she rejects me, which she will, I'll still look flawless, and she'll see what she's missing out on."I said to him with a shrug of my shoulders.

"Or, and hear me out on this, you stop being so pessimistic about your feelings for her and instead open your eyes that she's just as in love as you are."

"Mat-" I start, exasperatedly, having had this conversation more than once.

"I'm honestly surprised she's coming to pick you up at all."

"Meaning??"

"Oh you know just the fact that you both have toothbrushes at your places, a side of the closet for yours and her clothes, you memorize each other's schedules, wait for each other outside your classes so that you could have lunch at the square, and didn't you go to the formal as each other's plus one? Need I go on? I honestly would've thought you spent the night at hers again. The whole class acknowledges the two of you as a couple, so why can't either of you?"

"She's str-"

"Don't even dare finish that sentence, Valle."

"I'm not in the habit of getting my heart broken by straight girls, Matty. You of all people should know how it feels."

"Okay, rude." I hear him take a deep breath before continuing, "You know I wouldn't be saying any of this if I didn't think it were true right? That woman's madly in love with you too. Curse me if I'm wrong." I was about to rebutt when I heard knocks on the door.

I opened the door and Aika stood in front of it, clad in casual shirt and jeans that made my brain short circuit upon seeing her.

"I thought I said pwede ka nang hindi kumatok?" I tell her, leaning on the door. She shrugs at me and comes in, "It feels rude not to knock eh."

"You dressed up nicely ah. Ganda mo." she said, settling down on the couch.

"Ganda does mean beautiful right?" Matty speaks up, and Aika finally notices the man on the phone.

"Matty! Sorry I didn't know you guys were on call. But yea, ganda means beautiful, or pretty." she said, heading towards the phone to come face-to-face with the man.

"No worries. And she's been picking out an outfit for like an hour, so it better be ganda." he added, and I roll my eyes at them, even sticking my tongue out at Matty for exposing me.