story of tonight

Val's POV

Multiple commands were going left and right, all hands on deck as we worked through the last push of the campaign.

This has been the so-called new normal of the past few months for us volunteers, long days and sleepless nights worth the cause of our fight.

Lasts are always filled with bittersweet moments, and the last week of the campaign period was no exception.

Everyday, we'd go into headquarters, knowing looks on each of our faces as we refuse to believe the reality that was slowly dwelling upon us.

The campaign season was about to end, but we knew our fight wouldn't. So instead, we thought of it as a new beginning, carrying all that we've learned from the past months into the futures that lie ahead of us.

Each day that passed, we reminisced and never forgot. We cherished the time we had together, while making the best of the time we had left.

We'd laugh and share jokes in between breaks, with co-volunteers, or even the candidates themselves.

"Mga anak, it may be our last few days, pero may mga laban na hindi dapat natin binibitawan. Mahirap man ipaglaban ang ating Inang Bayan,'wag sana tayo magsawa sa paglaban para sa kanya." Senator Risa had joined us volunteers in the tent, making small talk as she waited her turn on stage.

We nodded our heads at her, making the promise to stand for our country even after the elections, no matter the outcome.

"Paano po yung laban niyo Sen? Tapos na rin po ba, o may election ban pa?" one volunteer spoke up, trying to lighten the somber mood. Snickers were covered by coughs as the reelectionist senator reddened at the question.

"Mga Marites for Leni-Kiko ata kayo eh." she counters in lieu of an answer.

"Isang 'You' na lang po ulit Sen! Pano po ba ulit yon?" the volunteers tease her further, as they start to sing the words to the song.

The lady senator's face was now a blushing mess, her covering it with her hands in an attempt to hide it. She was berating us volunteers for our teasing, but the small smile and the tinkle in her eyes told us she didn't actually mind.

The faces of the two volunteers who had started the teasing turned to look my way, a certain smugness on each of their lips.

"Baka kailangan niyo po ng karamay Sen, si Alona po guilty din sa paglabag ng election ban."

"What happens in Pangasinan, stays in Pangasinan, diba po Ate Ally?"

My mouth forms an 'O' shape as they call me out, the Senator seated beside me chuckling along with the others.

"Kung problemahin niyo kaya muna love life niyo kaysa yung amin ni Sen no?" I say to them, trying to hide my blush behind my 'ate aura'.

"Or better yet, yung kampanya muna hmm mga anak?" Sen Risa backs me up, and the volunteers make finger heart signs at the senator. We simply chuckle at them, before she leans into my ear, "Nilabag mo ba talaga anak?"

I cough on thin air at that, as I feign offense at the lady senator. "Sen, akala ko ba magkakampi tayo ngayon?"

"Tanong lang naman, anak." she said, letting out her own chuckle, as she was finally called onto the stage.

The roads once again filled with people, my own mother and brother joining them somewhere in the crowd.

The day pushed through, chants of 'ANG PRESIDENTE' filling every corner, the people enduring the heat to get a final glimpse of the candidates they support.