naga

Aika's POV

Home sweet home indeed.

Of all the places that we've lived in, I've always been fondest of Naga. Siguro dahil na rin it reminds me of the simpler times we had as a family.

Naga reminded me of the days we would go out to the park, my hand intertwined with Patty and Jill's as I learned the trials and triumphs of sisterhood. It reminded me of Papa and our constant night drives through the neighborhood, counting the streetlights we would pass by. It reminded me of Mama, and the tireless days she'd spend, a professor by day, a student by night, with me at her tail, not understanding the depths of her sacrifices until much later on in my life.

But most of all, Naga reminded me of home. A place of rest far away from the chaos of the world, our own little safe haven.

I guess that's why even today, when the campaign trail is set to officially start, I don't feel an ounce of nervousness or anxiousness. Just a rush of excitement for what's to come in the future.

Pink paraphernalia adorned the streets of Bicol, supporters or kakampinks bringing out everything from pink blankets to pink basins, shouting their support for TroPa.

It was a full day of sorties, caravans and visits but Mama never once faltered or complained. When my sisters and I urged her to sit down for awhile and rest she simply says, "May mga naghihintay sa akin anak, bawal pa mapagod." a soft smile gracing her lips.

We knew that it was going to be like this for the entirety of the campaign period, with Mama giving her 100% in whatever she does, because to her, no task is too big or too small. My sisters and I have always admired Mama's quiet strength, but we wish that the world could slow down even for a day so she could have the rest she has long deserved.

--------------------------

Without a doubt the highlight of the day was the big proclamation rally here in Naga. Thousands of people came in support of Mama and the whole TroPang Angat, donning all kinds of pink shirts, others with Mama's face or name, and others with captions like The future is female.

But perhaps what surprised me the most was the amount of volunteers that were present. From volunteer musicians to the youth who have taken more than their time and effort into making this day possible. All busy with their own tasks, making sure everything stayed afloat and that nothing would go astray.

After the rally, Mama called for all the volunteers and staff to gather, to say a quick message of gratitude. She said her thanks, reiterating that this rally wouldn't be successful if not for them.

"Magpahinga kayo at marami pa tayong tatrabahuhin. At tatandaan ninyo, nagsisimula pa lang tayo." we all applauded her and cheered her name, the volunteers saying their own thanks and asking for a few pictures with her before the crowd slowly dispersed.

Habang nakikihalubilo si Mama with the volunteers, tahimik lang kaming naghihintay ng mga kapatid ko sa gilid, the sleepiness and tiredness from the day's events seeping into our bodies.

I was conversing with Miss Rona, one of Mama's most loyal and trusted staff in the OVP with my back behind to Mama. I didn't realize Mama started walking towards us again, this time with a volunteer at her tail.

Una siyang napansin nila Patty, who immediately squealed in delight, and made me frozen in place as they said her name.

"Ate Alona!!"